The City is responsible for pruning all trees in parks and on verges in Cockburn. We follow the Australian Standards for pruning, which determines whether a tree should be pruned or not and the type of pruning we do.
When will the City prune a tree?
Following Australian Standards, the City will prune a tree if it:
- Improves the safety, structure and health of the tree
- Provides clearance for people moving below
- Prevents branches from overhanging a property boundary and park infrastructure
- Maintains safe clearances zones from powerlines
- Maintains a clear line of sight for vehicles and cyclists.
When will the City not prune a tree?
- If allergies are experienced by a resident/s
- The tree is dropping leaves (the City undertakes scheduled and additional road sweeping in areas with heavy leaf litter)
- The tree is shading solar panels
- The tree is blocking views.
How to get your verge tree pruned
The process below takes up to eight weeks, depending on City officer and contractor availability, and if the tree requires multiple forms of pruning (e.g. pruning, stump grind etc).
If you believe your verge tree needs pruning:
- Email [email protected] opens in a new window, submit your request online or call 08 9411 3444
- City reviews the pruning request, conducts a site visit and agrees the tree requires pruning
- City lodges pruning works with an external contractor
- City notifies the customer via email or phone that a request has been raised with the external contractor
- Contractor completes pruning
- The City updates the customer request advising the resident that the job has been completed.
If the City concludes that no pruning is required, the resident is contacted by the City to inform them that pruning will not occur and the reasoning behind the decision.
If a resident believes a City tree has caused root damage to their property, they can email [email protected]
, including a description, image and scope of the damage. The City will send this information to its insurance company for assessment.
If you would like your tree assessed for pruning please contact us
The City is responsible for the removal of verge and reserve trees. Trees will only be considered for removal, under the following circumstances:
- Structurally unsound
- Obstructing an approved works program, by either the City or utilities
- Tree root damage to public and/or private assets, when root barrier installation is not viable
- Damage by a declared storm event
- Identified as an invasive species.
If you would like more information on street tree removals or would like to have a street tree assessed, please contact us