The importance of water conservation
The local climate is drying, this makes water conservation and water efficiency measures a critical step into a future of reduced rainfall.
Our gardens can use up to 40% of households’ water consumption. Reducing water use and using it efficiently on our gardens plays a significant role in reducing household water use.
Local, native waterwise plants
Local, native plant species have evolved with our dry conditions, this makes native West Australian and Australian plants the most water efficient and waterwise plants. Using plants that are endemic to your area will attract birds, provide refuge and food for our local wildlife. Planting these species encourages local biodiversity and helps to replenish habitat that is lost in urban development.
About the Waterwise Verge Rebate
To assist the City’s residents to reduce water needs in the garden, we are offering a rebate to create a native plants waterwise verge.
The rebate supports verge landscaping installations that use waterwise practices and waterwise plants, especially native plants.
- Removal of turf (lawn/grass)
- Removal of gravel and loose rocks
- Removal of synthetic turf (strongly encouraged)
Applicants that are planning to;
- Plant Waterwise plants to fill a barren, un-landscaped verge
- Install a waterwise garden in new properties that have no landscaping
- Planting up disconnected verges and side verges. These are verges with restricted verge access from the private property.
The rebate does not support
- Infill verge projects that are working on an already vegetated verge that are adding plants; revitalising degraded and dying plants or mulch.
- Verge installations prior to the dates of application approval (i.e. there are no retrospective rebates)
How to apply
This scheme offers residents a rebate of $250 to $500 (dependent on size of verge frontage) to create a WA native Waterwise verge. Waterwise Verge Rebate Design Application Form must be submitted and approved prior to installing the Waterwise verge.
Verge makeovers along with the rebate form need to be completed prior to 30 September 2021, to be eligible for your rebate this year.
Step 1: Consider changes you wish to make to your verge that can be achieved before the end of September 2021.
Step 2: Complete application form with your design (a simple sketch)
Waterwise Verge Rebate Design Application Form
Step 3: City staff review application and inform you of the result.
Step 4: Upon approval implement your verge design, take “before and after” photos of and keep a copy of receipts for recouping your investment.
Step 5: If a street tree is required, this will be planted in the following year. Please allow space for this whilst completing your verge makeover.
Step 6: Complete rebate form to recoup your expenses.
Waterwise Verge Rebate Form
- Eligible verge treatments include: planting waterwise plants and mulching,
- Scheme is open from 1 June – 30 September 2021
- All applications, expenses (invoices) and rebates need to be submitted within this timeframe, before 30 September 2021
- Rebates available;
- Blocks of regular sized verge up to 30 of frontage value of $250.
- Larger verges, 30m or over of frontage, such as corner can be reimbursed for up to $500 due to increased requirements for materials.
- Any expenses over these are the responsibility of the home owner
- All designs need to conform with and the City's Street Verge Improvement Guidelines and Policy.
- Rebates apply to purchases made after approval granted by Council Officers.
Waterwise Verge Rebate enquiries and design applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is proudly funded by Waterwise Verge Rebate Scheme from Water Corporation.
Waterwise Verge Guidelines and Tips
Ensure you visit the Verge Improvement Guidelines opens in a new window and Creating a waterwise verge – Water Corporation opens in a new window webpages prior to construction for more futher information and handy tips.
More information and contact
Water Corporation provides guidance on creating a waterwise verge opens in a new window, including plans, recommended plants and video tips. Please also refer to the City’s Street Tree Verge Improvement Policy below.
For more information about the application process and rebate, please contact the City on 08 9411 3444 or email us.