The importance of water conservation
The local climate is drying, this makes water conservation and water efficiency measures a critical step into a future of reduced rainfall.
Our gardens can use up to 40% of households’ water consumption. Reducing water use and using it efficiently on our gardens plays a significant role in reducing household water use.
Local, native waterwise plants
Local, native plant species have evolved with our dry conditions, this makes native West Australian and Australian plants the most water efficient and waterwise plants. Using plants that are endemic to your area will attract birds, provide refuge and food for our local wildlife. Planting these species encourages local biodiversity and helps to replenish habitat that is lost in urban development.
About the Waterwise Verge Rebate
To assist the City’s residents to reduce water needs in the garden, we are offering a rebate to create a native plants waterwise verge.
The rebate supports verge landscaping installations that use waterwise practices and waterwise plants, especially native plants.
- Removal of turf (lawn/grass)
- Removal of gravel and loose rocks
- Removal of synthetic turf (strongly encouraged)
Applicants that are planning to;
- Plant Waterwise plants to fill a barren, un-landscaped verge
- Install a waterwise garden in new properties that have no landscaping
- Planting up disconnected verges and side verges. These are verges with restricted verge access from the private property.
The rebate does not support
- Infill verge projects that are working on an already vegetated verge that are adding plants; revitalising degraded and dying plants or mulch.
- Verge installations prior to the dates of application approval (i.e. there are no retrospective rebates)
Waterwise Verge Guidelines and Tips
Ensure you visit the Verge Improvement Guidelines opens in a new window and Creating a waterwise verge – Water Corporation opens in a new window webpages prior to construction for more futher information and handy tips.
Waterwise Verge Rebate
Application process may take up to 4 weeks
A water wise verge saves precious water and increases biodiversity and habitat, whilst providing shade to pedestrians and decreasing urban heat. The City of Cockburn supports improvements made to verges that incorporate Water wise planting and practices through this rebate program.
The City of Cockburn is offering residential property owners a rebate from $250 plus the giveaways for water wise verges planted between 1 May and 30 September 2022. The rebate amount is dependent on size of the verge.
All water wise verge rebates applications are subject to availability of funds, at the time of submission. Please retain all your receipts which will need to be submitted in the rebate form at the end of your project.
Successful applicants must comply with the criteria below to be considered:
- Water Wise Verge Rebates Design Application Forms must be submitted and approved prior to installing the Water Wise verge.
- Renters that have written approval from property owners are able to apply.
- Photographs of the existing verge are required to be submitted with the design application. Photographs of the completed verge will be required in the rebate form.
- The design applications that are approved must complete all works with material, plants, installation and purchases within 1 May 2021 and 30 September 2021. There are NO retrospective rebates, that is no works done prior to 1 May will be financially compensated
- Photographs of your verge before and after may be used by the City for media and promotional purposes, by participating in this program you give the City permission to use verge images.
- Water wise verge designs are to be planted with native (Western) Australian plant species and waterwise species that are identified on the Water Corporation website opens in a new window
- Call 1100 (Dial Before You Dig) or enquire online opens in a new window for safety and protection of underground utilities.
The first 80 applicants will be eligible for these free soil additives:
Apply for the Water Wise Verge Incentive Scheme Design Application
More information and contact
Water Corporation provides guidance on creating a waterwise verge opens in a new window, including plans, recommended plants and video tips. Please also refer to the City’s Street Tree Verge Improvement Policy below.
For more information about the application process and rebate, please contact the City on 08 9411 3444 or email us.