What is a Crossover?

A crossover is the part of the driveway from the kerb line to property line. Property owners are free to select their own contractor to build a crossover in accordance with City of Cockburn Crossover Specifications in concrete, brick paving, aggregate or bitumen. The City recommends that crossovers for new homes be included as part of the driveway construction.

Do I Need Approval to Construct or Change a Crossover?

As a landowner, you must apply to the City of Cockburn for approval to construct a new crossover, or to amend an existing crossover. This is under the Local Government Act (1995), Schedule 9.1, Clause 7. 

Please note the application process can take up to five business days.

Crossover Specifications

The City provides information on crossover specifications, which you must adhere to when constructing or changing a crossover.

How to Apply for Council Contribution Toward the Cost of Crossovers

Council provides a one off contribution of $300 towards the cost of crossovers. You can claim this once your crossover has been completed by submitting a Claim Form.
To apply for payment of Council Contribution for a crossover, you need to submit a written application, with the following information:

  • The Owner’s Name
  • Address where Crossover was Constructed
  • Current Postal Address
  • Materials Used
  • Signature of Owner
  • Bank BSB & Account Number 
  • Completed Claim Form.
You can submit your application by post or in person.

By post
Chief Executive Officer
City of Cockburn
PO Box 1215
Bibra Lake DC 6965
In person
City of Cockburn
9 Coleville Crescent

If the crossover has been constructed with brick pavers, a receipt or delivery docket for the limestone used in the construction is also required.

Once the City has received your application, the crossover will be inspected and the City will be advised.
Payment of Council Contribution is via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) ONLY. In order to receive payment, you must provide your bank details.

You will receive a remittance advice in the mail once payment has been processed to your nominated account. If bank details are not provided the form will be returned to you, delaying payment of the contribution.

More information and contact

Please contact Engineering Services for information on crossovers on 08 9411 3444 or at



9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

Po Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Visit the City of Cockburn homepage