Setting up a Food Business

Setting up a food business can be exciting, but please make sure you comply with the City’s guidelines, including planning, building and health regulations. Whether you are setting up a new food business, or taking over an old one, you will need to obey approvals processes.

Setting up a new food business 

If you are thinking of setting up a new food business in Cockburn, you will need to submit an Application for Approval to Construct or Amend a Food Premises and a Notification/Registration Form, which can be found under Documents below.

We also provide guides that outline the Planning, Building and Health requirements for food premises:

Food business approvals

Please make sure you have the necessary planning and building approvals and have completed the following steps before you submit an application to run a food business in Cockburn:

  • Contact the City’s Environmental Health Officers with any questions you may have about your Health application
  • Submit your completed application and appropriate fee with two copies of plans to your Environmental Health Officer
  • We will contact you if we require any further information or if you need to amend your application
  • You will be advised if your Application has been approved or refused. If approved, we will provide an approval document with any specific conditions that have been imposed to ensure your new business complies with food laws
  • Contact your Environmental Health Officer once construction is nearly complete to organise a final assessment. In order to start operating, you will need to ensure all Conditions of Approval have been met.

Taking over an existing food business

Before you open for trade, please make sure you complete the following steps:

  • Submit a 'Food Act 2008 Notification/Registration Form', using the form below, pay all relevant registration fees, and receive a Certificate of Registration 
  • Contact the City’s Health Services to arrange an onsite meeting with an Environmental Health Officer

If you intend to make changes to the food premises, please submit an ‘Application for Approval to Construct or Amend a Food Premises’ before any works commence.
If the food business you are taking over is currently operating it is recommended that you request a settlement enquiry by contacting the City’s Health Services.  This is usually arranged through a settlement agent, and incurs a fee.  Where requested, an inspection of the premises will be carried out and a written report provided to the settlement agent advising of any outstanding work orders and registration fees. 

Cooking food for sale from home

If you are thinking of starting a small business from home for the preparation of food for sale to the general public, you need to be aware of the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. You may also need to discuss your application with the City before submitting and you may require development approval from the City’s Planning Services.

More information and contact

Please contact Health Services on 08 9411 3444 or at for more information on setting up a food business in Cockburn.

Social Media Share Links below open in a new window



9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

Po Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Visit the City of Cockburn homepage