In accordance with Clause 5.24(1) of the Local Government Act 1995, the City invites questions from members of the public at Council meetings. Please follow the guidelines for submitting a public question to the City.
Fifteen minutes is allocated for questions to be raised by members of the public and responded to at:
- Every Ordinary Council Meeting
- Every Special Council Meeting as related to the purpose of the meeting
- Every Audit & Strategic Finance Committee meeting, to which the Council has delegated a power or duty, as related to items on the Committee Agenda
Once all questions raised by members of the public have been presented and responded to at a meeting, any unused portion of the time period may be used for other matters.
Each member of the public who wishes to raise a question or questions at a meeting referred to in Clause 5.24 of the Local Government Act shall be given equal and fair opportunity to raise the question and receive a response, subject to time constraints or limitations imposed by the presiding member.
Members of the public wishing to raise a question(s) may register that interest by notification in writing to the Chief Executive Officer in advance, setting out the text or substance of the question(s), either in written form addressed to the CEO or registered online in the form below, before 10:00am on the day of the meeting. The order in which registrations of interest are received by the Chief Executive Officer shall determine the order of questions to be raised unless the Presiding Member determines otherwise.
The prescribed form can be downloaded under Documents below, or obtained in person at the front counter of the City of Cockburn Administration Building in Spearwood or at the City’s libraries at Spearwood, Coolbellup and Success.
Persons who have submitted question(s) to be raised shall be invited by the Presiding Member at the beginning of the meeting, to present their question(s), in the order that the question(s) have been registered, so that a fair and equal opportunity is provided.
Public questions that:
- Are received after 10.00am on the day of a meeting
- Have lapsed due to the person registering the matter not attending the meeting
may not be responded to during Public Question Time. Instead, these questions may be registered as a Customer Request and responded to by an officer of Council.
Public questions that:
- contain offensive remarks,
- relate to the personal affairs or actions of Elected Members or Staff,
- relate to confidential matters or legal action, or
- the Presiding Member believes have been answered by earlier questions at the meeting or earlier meetings,
- are Statements
may not be accepted.
Please submit your questions by 10.00am on the day of the meeting, either:
- In writing addressed to the CEO
- Via the online form below
- In person at the City's Administration building
Please contact the City for more information on 08 9411 3444 or at email@example.com.