Residential Noise

Making a noise complaint 

Noise disturbances can be disruptive and affect our wellbeing.  

If you find yourself affected by excessive noise: 

  • Check the noise regulations: Before escalating the issue, familiarise yourself with the permitted noise levels and conditions outlined on this page. This will help in determining if the noise you're experiencing is beyond the allowed limit.
  • Engage directly: Approach the person or business responsible for the noise. Engage with them politely and discuss how the noise is impacting you. Direct communication can often lead to faster and more amicable resolutions. 
  • Formal complaint: If the disturbance continues and you believe it exceeds permitted levels, submit your concerns to the City using the Public Health Complaint Form. As part of the complaint process: 
    • Document specific instances of noise disturbance with the Health Services Record of Events Form (linked below) 
    • ​Be prepared for the possibility of sound level measurements being taken from your property to support the investigation. 

Report drone complaints to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

Ways to minimise noise

The following provides guidance on ways to minimise noise to avoid disturbances to your neighbours.

Air conditioners
  • Purchase the quietest model that meets your requirements 
  • Discuss potential noise impacts with your installer before setting up 
  • Place the external components distantly from neighbouring homes. 
Alarms and home security
  • Familiarise yourself with your alarm's functionalities
  • Ensure installation by a Licensed Security Agent
  • Equip the alarm with auxiliary power backup
  • Limit sirens to a 10-minute duration
  • Before activation, secure windows/doors and ensure pets are out of the way. 

Note: WA Police can silence alarms causing unreasonable noise for excessive periods of time.

Gardening and power tools
  • Use machinery, like lawnmowers and power tools, for a maximum of two consecutive hours per day
  • Operate these tools between 7am-7pm from Monday to Saturday, and 9am-7pm on Sundays and public holidays.
Music (general use)
  • From 7pm, maintain a volume that's inaudible from your property's boundary
  • Manage the bass levels to avoid disturbances. 
Musical instrumental practice
  • Limit practice to an hour daily 
  • Adhere to practice hours between 7am-7pm from Monday to Saturday and 9am-7pm on Sundays and public holidays 
  • Practice indoors with closed windows and doors 
  • Opt for music studios for band sessions. 
  • Inform neighbours of your intention to host a gathering and provide a contact number 
  • Lower music volume by 10pm and move your gathering to indoors closing doors and windows 
  • Post-midnight, request guests to remain inside 
  • Encourage silent departures, saying your farewells indoors 
  • Delay cleaning until daylight hours. 

More information and contact

For more information on residential noise, contact the City’s Health Services team on 08 9411 3444 or [email protected].  




City of Cockburn
Whadjuk Boodja
9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Social Media

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaditj boodjar kep wer kaadidjiny kalyakool yoodaniny, wer koora wer yeyi ngalak Birdiya koota-djinanginy.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for Country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past and present.