Who can apply? How much can I apply for?
Grants are open until 11:59pm 13 May 2022.To apply for Community Funding for Local Economic Development, an applicant must:
Have an ABN.
Have a business based in the City of Cockburn or offer a project or initiative within the City of Cockburn local government area.
If an applicant is not located within the City of Cockburn local government area, the project or initiative must demonstrate a clear link and direct impact on the City of Cockburn’s strategy and objectives, for example - the local economy outcomes of the Strategic Community Plan.
Where an applicant is not located within the City of Cockburn local government area the City will have full discretion to determine if the local Economic Benefit is sufficient such that a grant may be awarded.
Be a micro, small or medium business (1 to 199 employees).
Have all appropriate insurances and licenses.
Applicants that will be procuring from suppliers based within City of Cockburn will be favourably considered.
When can I apply?
Grants of up to $5,000 will be available in the following streams:
A. Technology/digital enhancements *capped at $3000 per application
B. Enhancements to local retail and employment centres
C. Promotion of innovation
D. Assisting businesses with COVID-19 recovery
Projects must be delivered within 12 months, with an acquittal submitted within one month of completion.
Please note that Economic Development Grants will open on 7 April 2022, and must be submitted by 13 May 2022. Projects must be delivered by 24 December 2022, with an acquittal submitted within one month of completion.
Funding cannot be awarded retrospectively.
Technology/Digital enhancements Enhancements to local retail and employment centres
Up to $3000 for costs associated with online and e-commerce activities, including the purchase of software, hardware and services in any of the following areas, to support a business’s sustainability and promote economic growth:
- Website design and development
- E-commerce platforms (selling online and receiving payments)
- Online content development (web pages, mobile apps, audio & visual media)
- Mentoring and training in online and e-commerce activities (where this is not readily available under the City’s Business Advisory/ Business Development program)
Hardware purchases must be matched funding (i.e. The City will contribute 50% of the cost provided that the applicant contributes 50%)
Promotion of innovation
Up to $5000 for costs associated with enhancing the destination and visitor experience in local activity centres. A Local retail and employment centre is a community focal point, and can include activities such as commercial, retail, entertainment, tourism, civic/community, education and medical services.Eligible improvements may include the following, subject to council approval where required:
- Painting of the existing façade
- Repairs to structural façade elements
- External architectural and or artistic façade features
- Upgrading entrance for accessible access
- Window treatments including vacant shopfront windows (ie. Vinyl artwork)
- Tiling or painting of external walls
- Awnings & canopies
- Creative lighting on facades, awnings and footpaths
- Removal of redundant signage, air conditioning units
- Verge upgrades
- Landscaping including planter boxes or vertical garden beds in private property
- Public art elements including painted murals, light boxes, window or footpath decals
Applicants must obtain the relevant approvals and permits, including compliance with the City’s planning framework and the Building Code of Australia. Applicants that will be procuring from suppliers based in the City of Cockburn will be favourably considered.
Assisting businesses with COVID-19 recovery
Up to $5000 to encouraging new and innovative practices and products in small to medium businesses in the City of Cockburn, across three areas:
- Business Growth - Development of new innovative ideas to expand business
- Supporting Export Growth - Research and development of export-focused initiatives
- Start-Up - Support for launching an innovative business idea in the City.
Other projects with an innovation focus may also be considered, so please consider applying for this funding if your business is eligible.
Limitations and Conditions
The City is committed to helping the local business community recover and rebound from the impacts of COVID-19.
This program will fund up to $5000 for measures that will assist businesses to reopen and adapt following the COVID-19 pandemic. This grant has been developed to encourage businesses within the City boundaries to develop capacity, invest in their premises, encourage community visitation, attract new customers, build exposure and ultimately be a financially sustainable business.
The successful request for a grant in any year does not imply any ongoing commitment of the same or similar contribution in following years.
Applicants must be based in the City of Cockburn or be able to demonstrate that you primarily serve the Cockburn community or looking to provide a service in Cockburn that will benefit the Cockburn community.
Priority will be given to applicants who haven’t previously been funded.
Funding will not be provided:
- Retrospectively for any projects or events that have already occurred or commenced
- If previous City of Cockburn funding has not been acquitted
- To political parties, government departments and agencies, or individuals.
- For projects or programs that rely on existing funding from the City of Cockburn
- Multi-year funding will not be considered within this program
- For expenses without documentation
- Payment of debts to any entity
- Items covered by state and federal government funding packages
- Operational expenses such as Utility charges, Council rates, Insurance payments, Franchise fees, Wages or salaries
- Projects/ activities which exclude or offend segments of the community
- Projects/ activities which could present a hazard to the community or environment or promote antisocial behaviour
Before you apply
Read the Economic Development Grants Guidelines and Policy
Preview the Application Form, so you can gather all information needed
Contact the Business Engagement Officer on 08 9411 3444 during business hours or email [email protected] if you have any questions.
Applications can be made at the Cockburn Smarty Grants website opens in a new window
Apply For a Business Grant opens in a new window
The Sustainability Grants Program (Building a Better Tomorrow) provides funding for projects in Cockburn relating to six sustainability themes. Small businesses, schools, not-for profits and collective households can apply.
Successful applicants can apply for up to $4,000 towards the project.
Find out more about the Sustainability Grants Program opens in a new window
, including how to apply.
Grants and programs finder
To find grants, funding and support programs from across government to help your business grow and succeed search the business.gov.au – grants and programs finder opens in a new window
The Small Business Development Commission provides a useful article covering Government Grants FAQs opens in a new window
Are you experiencing financial difficulty in your business?
The City provides a free and confidential financial counselling service to eligible small businesses (less than 100 employees) located in the City of Cockburn, that are experiencing financial difficulty.
Small Business Financial Counsellors are qualified professionals who assist with independent information, advice, support and referral, for businesses.
Our Financial Counsellors can:
- Help you to develop strategies to manage short and long-term financial difficulties
- Negotiate on your behalf with creditors, such as banks or finance companies
- Accessing dispute resolution services
- Assist you to understand and organise business and financial records
They can also provide information and guidance on:
- The insolvency process for companies
- Understanding your rights and accessing legal help
- Applicable grants and concession frameworks
- Developing budgets
- How business and personal assets and liabilities can become intertwined.
We cannot offer legal advice, corporate insolvency advice, investment advice, complex business advice or interpersonal disputes between business parties.
Make an appointment with a Financial Counsellor
To make an appointment please contact us on 08 9411 3444.
Flexible appointment options are available including face to face meetings, over the phone, video/Skype, Zoom or WebEx.
Note, this service is also provided through FinUCAre (Mandurah) opens in a new window and Anglicare (Joondalup) opens in a new window.
Visit the Small Business Development Commission for guidance on:
Financial management opens in a new window
Tax opens in a new window
- Developing financial processes and procedures
- Business finance and loans
- Budgets and forecasts
- Profit and loss and balance sheets
- Providing credit to customers
- Getting paid on time.
- Registering for tax
- Super, payroll and other taxes
- Tax reporting requirements
- Tax deductions and concessions.
Social Media Share Links below open in a new window