Find out about the Age Friendly Strategy 2016 – 2021. The Strategy aims to promote age friendly initiatives and enhance the quality of life of seniors as they age in Cockburn.
The Age Friendly Strategy 2016 – 2021 was developed in line with the World Health Organisation’s Age Friendly Cities Framework.
The City of Cockburn has a higher than average proportion of people in the community who are over 55 years of age. By 2026, nearly one quarter of the City’s population will be older than 55.
The City has developed an Age Friendly Strategy in order to accommodate the growing needs of an ageing population. The Age Friendly Strategy was developed in consultation with the Community.
It sets out key themes and actions that the City will take over the next five years, including:
- Outdoor spaces and the built environment – clean, accessible and safe
- Transport - infrastructure and public services meet older people’s needs
- Housing - a range of housing options are available to facilitate ageing in place and meet need across the age/well-being continuum Inclusion and respect - older people are included in all aspects of community life and are treated with respect
- Social Participation - local, accessible and affordable opportunities for social participation are readily available
- Engagement - opportunities for employment, continual learning, civic contribution and volunteering are actively facilitated
- Information - information on services and support is communicated in a variety of formats
- Health and community support - health and community support services are accessible, age-friendly and focused on promoting healthy and active lifestyles.
Join the Age-Friendly Reference Group
The Reference Group works together to achieve the strategy outcomes above.
To become a member:
You must live in the City of Cockburn
Be a senior or carer or advocate for a senior
Or someone who works in the seniors flied either in a voluntary or paid role within Cockburn
If you would like to become the one of the voices of our senior community, contact the Cocckburn Seniors Centre on 08 9411 3870 or email email@example.com
You can download the summary of the Age Friendly Strategy 2016-2021 from the related documents section below, or obtain a hard copy from the Cockburn Seniors Centre, Cockburn Libraries, and Administration building.
Please contact the Seniors Centre Coordinator for more information on 08 9411 3444 or at firstname.lastname@example.org