To be eligible for a rebate or deferment as detailed in the Rebates and Deferments Act 1992, an applicant must:
- Be the owner, AND
- Reside at the property as of 1 July.
To be classified as a pensioner you must meet the following requirements:
• Receive the pension AND hold a Pensioner Concession Card OR State Concession Card, OR
• Hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests AND a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
For pensioners who meet the eligibility criteria above, the following rebates and deferments are available:
• Rebate – 50 per cent off the current year’s rates and ESL charge
• Limited to a maximum amount as set by RevenueWA. The rebate will be limited to a cap of $750 for the 2020-21 rating year
• Deferment – of current year’s rates and ESL charge. Part pensioners are not entitled to a deferment.
To be classified as a senior you must meet the following requirement:
• Hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests.
Holders of BOTH a Seniors Card (issued by the Office of Seniors Interests) and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are entitled to the same concessions as a pensioner.
Those who hold ONLY a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to the following:
• Rebate of up to 25 per cent off the current year’s rates and ESL charge only
• Limited to a maximum amount as set by RevenueWA
• Seniors are not entitled to a deferment
• The rebate will be limited to a cap of $100 for the 2020-21 rating year.
How do I register for a rebate?
To register for a rebate contact the Water Corporation, even if you are not a client, on 1300 659 951 or visit their website
. Concessions only apply once your application has been registered.
A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration for pensioners and seniors who become eligible after 1 July. Part pensioners and part seniors may attract penalty interest on overdue amounts and proportional instalment costs.
Contact the City if you have rates arrears outstanding on your property and you meet the eligibility criteria. You may be able to enter into an arrangement that entitles you to a rebate or deferment.
Deferring your rates payments
If you receive a 50% pensioner rebate for your property, you may defer paying your rates until the property is sold or you no longer reside at the property. Please note:
- Life tenants, seniors and part-pensioners are not entitled to defer rates
- Deferred rates are charged at the full value, not the reduced rate
- All charges and levies other than Underground Power, ESL and Rates cannot be deferred and must be paid in full by the due date
- Deferred rates only become payable at such a time that you either sell your property or cease to reside at the property, even if you are no longer a current pensioner
- No interest will apply to the deferred amount.
Change of circumstances
If any of your circumstances change, such as your concession card type or you are no longer eligible, you must notify the City immediately on 08 9411 3444 or via email email@example.com
For your convenience, you can change your address, name or property ownership online
Centrepay deductions (for Centrelink customers)
Centrepay is a free bill paying service for Centrelink customers. Please contact Centrelink on 13 23 00 or visit their office and provide them with the City of Cockburn Service Provider's Centrepay Reference Number and your account number:
- Centrepay Reference Number: 555025770X
- Your Account Number (property number) - you will find the property number on your Rate Notice.
Rates due date and payments
We encourage pensioners and seniors to pay their rates before 15 June so the rebate can be claimed from the State Government on your behalf. Late payments may result in your rebate being forfeited.
: If any outstanding rates are not cleared by the end of the previous financial year, seniors and part-pensioners may have their concession status cancelled and be required to make a new application once the arrears are cleared.
Find out how to pay your rates
Please see the Department of Finance opens in a new window for information on pension caps for the 2020-21 financial year.
Please contact Rates Services for information or assistance with rates rebates on 08 9411 3444 or at firstname.lastname@example.org