Rates and Rebates for Pensioner and Seniors

Eligibility for a rebate or deferment

To be eligible for a rebate or deferment as detailed in the Rebates and Deferments Act 1992, an applicant must:

  • Be the owner

  • Reside at the property as of 1 July for the year ahead

  • Be classified as a Pensioner or Senior (see requirements below).

Source: Rebates and Deferments Act 1992

Pensioner classification

To be classified as a Pensioner, you must meet one of the following:

  • You receive the pension and are the holder of a Pensioner Concession Card or State Concession Card


  • You hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

Senior classification
  • To be classified as a Senior, you must hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests.

Important note: Holders of both a Seniors Card (issued by the Office of Seniors Interests) and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card are entitled to the same concessions as a pensioner.

Rebates and deferments avaliable 

Pensioner rebate and deferments
  • 50 per cent off the current year’s rates and ESL charge. Limited to a cap of $750 for the 2022-23 rating year.

  • Deferment of current year’s rates and ESL charge.

Part pensioners are not entitled to a deferment.

Seniors rebate and deferments

25 per cent off the current year’s rates and ESL charge. Limited to a cap of $100 for the 2022-23 rating year.  
Seniors are not entitled to a deferment.

Register for a rebate

To register for a rebate contact the Water Corporation opens in a new window (even if you are not a client)

Important notes:

  • Concessions only apply once your application has been registered 
  • A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration for pensioners and seniors who become eligible after 1 July
  • Part pensioners and part seniors may attract penalty interest on overdue amounts and proportional instalment costs.

Defer your rates payments

If you receive a 50% pensioner rebate for your property, you may defer paying your rates until the property is sold or you no longer reside at the property. 

Important notes:

  • Life tenants, seniors and part-pensioners are not entitled to defer rates

  • Deferred rates are charged at the full value, not the reduced rate

  • Only ESL and Rates may be deferred. All other charges and levies must be paid in full by the due date

  • Deferred rates only become payable at such a time that you either sell your property or cease to reside at the property, even if you are no longer a current pensioner

  • No interest will apply to the deferred amount.

Rate arrears outstanding on your property

​Contact the City if you have rates arrears outstanding on your property and you meet the eligibility criteria. You may be able to enter into an arrangement that entitles you to a rebate or deferment.

Change of circumstances

If any of your circumstances change, such as your concession card type or you are no longer eligible, you must notify the City immediately on 08 9411 3444 or email [email protected].

You can change your address, name or property ownership online.

Rates due date and payments

We encourage pensioners and seniors to pay their rates before 15 June so the rebate can be claimed from the State Government on your behalf. Late payments may result in your rebate being forfeited.

Find out about paying your rates, including options for online payments, direct debit in person or through Centrepay or SmartRates opens in a new window.

Important note: If any outstanding rates are not cleared by the end of the previous financial year, seniors and part-pensioners may have their concession status cancelled and be required to make a new application once the arrears are cleared.

Pension Caps

A pension cap is the maximum amount that can be refunded. Please visit the Department of Finance opens in a new window for information on pension caps.

More information and contact

For information or assistance please call 08 9411 3444 or rates@cockburn.wa.gov.au



Whadjuk Boodja
9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaadatj dayin boodja, kep wer malayin. Ngalak kaadatj koora koora wer yeyi ngalang birdiya.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past, present and emerging.