Building and Planning Advice

Find out how the City’s Building Surveyors and Planning Officers can assist you with matters relating to your building or planning application. Their advice will help you lodge an application correctly and avoid approval delay.

Building advice

The City’s Building Surveyors provide advice on a range of different areas. You do not need an appointment to speak with a Building Surveyor at the front counter of the City’s Administration Building.

For compliance related issues, please note that Compliance Officers are primarily field officers, and it is strongly recommended that you book an appointment if you wish to speak with them at the City’s front counter.

You are also advised to call for an appointment if you need to speak with a Swimming Pool Inspector at the front counter or if you require an onsite consult.

Areas of building advice

You can contact the City’s Building Surveyors for advice on:

  • The legislative requirements of the Building Act 2011 & Building Regulations 2012. 

  • The building permit approval process for all classes of buildings. For example:

    • What is required to lodge a building Permit Application;

    • The types of Building Permit Applications available (Certified and Uncertified);

    • Application submission process – how you can lodge your application i.e. in person at council offices, via post, and online / electronic (for registered builders only);

    • Fees and payment methods.

  • The Demolition Permit approval process – what is required to lodge a Demolition Permit application.

  • The types of Building Commission forms available and where to download them.

Bushfire Regulations:

  • When is a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Assessment Report required with a Building Permit application;

  • Australian Standard AS3959 - Building in a Bushfire prone area construction requirements.

State-wide building cladding audit

Following the tragic fire at Grenfell Tower in West London in June this year, building industry professionals and governments around the world have raised concerns about the potential fire dangers associated with certain types of building cladding.
As such, many jurisdictions within Australia including the State Government of Western Australia are undertaking an audit process to review the relevant building stock throughout the State. This will include buildings within the City of Cockburn municipal area.

Further information in regard to the audit can be found on the Building Commission website.

The City’s Building Compliance Officers can provide information on:

  • The requirements of the Building Act 2011 in relation to unauthorised building work and/or structures i.e. buildings constructed without a valid building permit.

  • The retrospective building approval process. For example:

    • Why the City’s Building Compliance Officers need to do site visits to inspect the unauthorised building work;

    • What occurs at a site visit;

    • The submission requirements for a Building Approval Certificate approval application to the City to obtain retrospective approval for the unauthorised structure and/or building work.

  • How to submit a Building Compliance Request Form to lodge a formal complaint regarding alleged unauthorised building work, untidy building sites and alleged non-compliance with building permit conditions.

The City’s Swimming Pool Inspectors can assist you with enquiries about:

  • Pool Safety Barrier requirements under Australian Standard AS1926.1 – 2012

  • Building Commission Rules for Pools and Spas Booklet (May 2016) downloadable from Building Services webpages or the Building Commission website.

Please note: The City’s Swimming Pool Inspectors are available to meet property owners onsite to provide a free consult about their Pool Safety Barrier and how to achieve compliance with AS1926.1 – 2012.

More information and contact

If you require more information on building related matters, please contact Building Services on 08 9411 3444 or at

Planning advice

The City’s Planning Officers provide advice on a range of planning-related issues. You do not need to make an appointment to speak to a Planning Officer at the City’s front counter in the Administration Building.

If you want advice on a planning compliance matter, please note that the City’s Development Compliance Officers are primarily field officers, and it is strongly recommended that you book an appointment prior to speaking with them at front counter.

If you are lodging a Development Assessment Panel (DAP) applications, you MUST schedule a preliminary meeting with a Senior Planning Officer at the City.

Areas of planning advice

Planning Officers provide advice on:

  • The legislative requirements of the Local Planning Scheme No. 3 and Planning and Development (Local Planning Scheme) Regulations 2015.

  • Planning approval process including:

    • What is required to lodge a Development Application/ Local Development Plan/ Development Assessment Panel Application/ Clearance Application/ Written Planning Advice/ Liquor Licences/ Built Strata Applications;

    • The types of Development Applications;

    • Application submission process – how customers can lodge their applications;

    • Applicable fees and payment methods.

  • Exemptions under the Development (Local Planning Scheme) Regulations 2015:

    • Information sheets available.

  • Bushfire regulations including whether a Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Assessment Report is required with a Development Application.

  • Unauthorised structures/land uses.

Development Compliance Officers provide advice on:

  • Investigating alleged non-compliance with Development Approval conditions.

  • Investigated alleged non-compliance under Local Planning Scheme No. 3 and Planning and Development (Local Planning Scheme) Regulations 2015.

  • Site inspections by the City’s Development Compliance Officers to determine whether retrospective approval can be granted by the City.

  • What is required to lodge a Retrospective Development Application to obtain retrospective approval from the City.

More information and contact

Please contact Statutory Planning services for more information on development applications, approvals and advice on 08 9411 3444 or at

Social Media Share Links below open in a new window



9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

Po Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Visit the City of Cockburn homepage