Household hazardous waste has the potential to harm humans and the environment. Please make sure you understand the correct way to dispose of hazardous waste in Cockburn. Hazardous waste cannot be disposed of in residential bins.
Household hazardous waste is household waste that contains chemicals which can be harmful to humans and the environment. This waste does not belong in your residential bins because it is dangerous.
Hazardous waste at the Henderson Waste Recovery Park
Cockburn residents can safely dispose of domestic quantities of household hazardous waste free of charge at the Henderson Waste Recovery Park, through the State Government's Household Hazardous Waste
program. Items included in the free Household Hazardous Waste program are:
- Aerosols – CFC based
- Aerosols, flammable – paint and lacquers
- Aerosols, flammable - pesticide
- Arsenic based products
- Batteries – nickel cadmium
- Batteries – other (excludes Lithium & Thionyl Chloride)
- Engine coolants and glycols
- Fire extinguishers – non-Halon
- Flammable liquids - hydrocarbons and fuels
- Flammable solids
- Fluorescent tubes, CFL and light fittings
- Gas Cylinders – other
- Gas Cylinders – propane
- General household chemicals eg cleaners
- Heavy metal compounds
- Inorganic oxidising agents – eg pool chlorine
- Low level radioactive substances eg smoke detectors
- Mercury – elemental
- Organic peroxides
- Paint - metal based
- Paint - other, including isocyanates and amines
- Paint - recyclable
- Paint - solvent based, including resins and adhesives
- Paint - water based
- PCB materials
- Pesticides - non Schedule X
- Pesticides – Schedule X
- Solvents – halogenated
- Unknown chemicals (if they are in a secure, sealed, chemical resistant container).
Free entry to the Henderson Waste Recovery Park only applies if all that is being disposed of is household hazardous waste. If there is any other waste being disposed of then an entry fee or trailer pass will be required.
Community Recycling Hubs
You can drop off small quantities of dry-cell batteries, light globes, mobile phones and printer toner cartridges at Cockburn Libraries
in Spearwood, Coolbellup and Success.
You can also drop off aerosol cans to the front counter at the Administration Building, 9 Coleville Crescent, Spearwood.
Please contact the Waste Education Officer for more information on Household Hazardous Waste Disposal on 08 9411 3444
or at email@example.com