City of Cockburn ratepayers enjoy one of the lowest levels of Council rates in the metropolitan area. It also delivers ratepayers value for money through high-quality local services and facilities for residents and businesses.
The cost of your rates varies in line with the value of your property - the higher the value of your property, the more rates you pay. Values are assessed on the basis of the annual rental income potential of each residence (gross rental value) which is reviewed every three years by the Valuer Generals Office, or on un-improved value of vacant land (reviewed annually).
Council uses the Valuer General's values to calculate the amount of rates due. Additional charges include your rubbish and recycling service, the emergency services levy, the mobile bin levy, surcharge to units within a complex and the annual pool inspection levy where applicable.
To find out more about rates in the City of Cockburn, please visit our Questions and Answers page. To find out more about SmartRates and eRates which are easier, more manageable ways to pay your rates, see the sections below.
Annual rate payments are due on 26 August 2022. If you elected to pay your rates in instalments, the due dates are:
- Instalment 1 - due 26 August 2022
- Instalment 2 - due 28 October 2022
- Instalment 3 - due 6 January 2023
- Instalment 4 - due 10 March 2023
You can pay your rates with Visa or Mastercard via our SecurePay hosted secure payment gateway.
You will need your Property Number (located on the top right-hand side of your Rates Notice. Please enter numbers only - no letters, dashes or spaces.
Pay rates online opens in a new window
Pay via BPay
Pay your rates via BPay through your financial institution. Credit card payments are accepted. Please quote Biller ID: 16212 and your Reference Number which you can find on your Rate Notice.
Pay via Centrepay deductions
Centrepay is a free bill paying service for Centrelink customers. Please contact Centrelink on 13 23 00 or visit their office and provide them with the City of Cockburn Service Provider's Centrepay Reference Number and your Account Number.
- Centrepay Reference Number: 555025770X
- Your Account Number (Property Number) located on your Rate Notice
Pay in person at the City Administration Building or Australia Post
You can pay your rates at the City Administration Office or an Australia Post outlet.
The Council Administration Office is located at 9 Coleville Crescent, Spearwood (corner Rockingham Road). View map opens in a new window. Opening hours are 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday. You will need to present your Rate Notice to the cashier. Payments by credit card or EFTPOS accepted.
Any Australia Post outlet opens in a new window will accept your payment. You will need to present your Rate Notice. Credit card payments are not accepted.
Having difficulties paying?
If you are experiencing genuine hardship, please complete this application form or contact the City to discuss for alternative payment arrangements.
SmartRates - a more manageable way to pay
Online application submission is now closed for 2022/2023 financial year. To discuss this option, please contact the City or email to [email protected]
Using a direct debit approach, SmartRates makes it easier for households to manage their rate payments throughout the year by allowing you to pay weekly, fortnightly or monthly (4 weekly).
Receiving your rates by email reduces paper and save admin costs if you have chosen to pay rates by instalment. You will also receive your six trailer passes on the electronic Rate Notice if your property meets the trailer pass entitlement.
- There can only be one email address for each notice. If there is more than one owner of the property and both owners apply to receive the electronic notice, the default will send the email to the email address of the last person who registered.
- The process to register to receive your rates by email (eRates) will automatically close fourteen (14) days prior to the issue date of any rate notice.
- If the registration has not been received in time for when the next notice is issued, you will automatically receive your rate notice by post.
- The link to access the Rate Notice available for 12 months from the notice issue date.
Register for eRates opens in a new window