Noise from Transport Sources

Control of Noise from Transport Sources

The means to minimise any potential for excessive noise from transport activities, including road traffic, rail lines or air traffic, falls under state and federal jurisdictions.

Road (Traffic) and Rail Noise

Noise control is a shared responsibility between landowners, developers, and infrastructure providers.  Infrastructure providers, such as Main Roads and the Public Transport Authority, must also meet design requirements to reduce noise from transport infrastructure as far as practicable.  These noise control requirements are determined on an infrastructure-specific basis for each major road or rail project, but some sources of noise cannot be avoided, and others, such as the requirement for trains to sound horns when approaching rail crossings, are safety requirements under other legislation. 

New home developments around major road and rail infrastructure must comply with State Planning Policy 5.4 Road and Rail Noise.  This policy requires developers to use noise modelling to inform prospective homeowners about measures they will need to undertake to keep noise out of their new homes.  While these requirements do not apply to existing homes, there are measures that homeowners can take to reduce the level of external noise entering their homes. 

Traffic noise is exempt from the Regulations. However, the noise of individual vehicles on public roads that have been modified or not adequately maintained can be reported to the Police, as can noise from burnouts and hooning behaviour. Contact the Police on 131 444 or submit a report online.

Noise from vehicles on private property may be subject to the Regulations and can be reported to the City of Cockburn by completing a Public Health Complaint Form located here.

For more information on major road projects contact Main Roads WA by visiting their website or telephone 138 138. Enquiries can also be made via email at [email protected] or by completing an online form.

For more information of passenger rail projects contact the Public Transport Authority (PTA) by visiting their website telephone on 13 62 13 or email [email protected]. You can also complete an online form

For more information on the Freight Rail Network contact ARC Infrastructure by visiting their website, phone 9212 2800 or email [email protected]. They also have an online form you can complete.

Aircraft Noise

Jandakot Airport is Perth’s major general aviation airport and one of the busiest airports nationally.  It is nearly impossible to stop noise from aircraft, including helicopters from impacting homes within the vicinity of the airport, and the airport operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 
The Jandakot Control Zone describes the airspace within a three nautical mile (5.5km) radius of the airport. This includes the suburbs of Atwell, Banjup, Bibra Lake, Cockburn Central, Leeming, North Lake, South Lake, Success and Yangebup.  As aircraft at Jandakot Airport fly under Visual Flight Rule procedures, the pilots use visual landmarks to determine their flight path, so unlike vehicles on the road, there can be variation in the flight paths used by different aircraft.

The suburbs of Cockburn Central, Jandakot, Leeming, South Lake and Treeby are in the vicinity of the Jandakot Airport training circuit. This area is subject to repetitive touchdown and take-off (‘Touch and Go’) circuit movements as a requirement of pilot training exercises and the normal, general aviation activities associated with Jandakot Airport operations. 

As a result of the high number of aircraft movements, new housing developments in these areas are subject to additional construction requirements to prevent noise from entering new homes. 

For more information visit the following websites:

Jandakot Airport

Perth Airport  

AirServices Australia (for aircraft noise) 
Aircraft noise must be lodged with AirServices Australia by telephone on 1800 802 584 (freecall) Monday-Friday (excluding public holidays), between 10am-4pm (Sydney time) or by lodging a noise complaint, enquiry and comment form online at   

Construction to Mitigate Noise

Acoustic and specialist consultants can also provide site-specific advice on noise attenuation and mitigation. Consultants can be found through their professional bodies:

More information

Where to find more information on what you can do to exclude noise to an existing home:

Aircraft Noise
The Perth Airport publication 'Reducing Aircraft Noise in Existing Homes' explains how aircraft noise affects houses, describes changes you can consider to exclude noise from your home.

Traffic Noise

To reduce road traffic noise to existing houses, the Vic Roads publication 'A Guide to the Reduction of Traffic Noise', explains how road noise affects homes and describes changes you can consider to exclude noise from your home. 

Related Pages



City of Cockburn
Whadjuk Boodja
9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Social Media

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaadatj dayin boodja, kep wer malayin. Ngalak kaadatj koora koora wer yeyi ngalang birdiya.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for Country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past and present.