Hooning and Speeding Vehicles

What is hooning and anti-social driver behaviour?

Whether on main roads, paths or verges, hooning and anti-social driver behaviour includes:
  • Dangerous or reckless driving
  • Anti-social/hoon driver behaviour
  • Speeding or burnout activity.

Police powers 

Police have the power to enforce laws in relation to these matters with appropriate authorisations to take action which can include fines, court prosecution, licence suspension and vehicle seizure where appropriate.

While the Police may not be able to prevent these incidents from occurring, their powers allow drivers to be dealt with in a number of ways with the goal to prevent re-offending and act as a deterrent for other potential offenders.

How you can assist Police

To be successful in dealing with hooning and speeding matters, Police often need public assistance. To assist Police, please conduct the following:
  • Take video recording if possible or photographs of the incident
  • Record the date and time of the event
  • Obtain the vehicle Make, Model, Colour and most importantly registration if able
  • Note down description of driver and occupants if able including clothing worn
  • Address of where the vehicle comes from if known
  • Write down what occurred, where they drove, how they drove, and what they did.
Tip: The sooner you contact Police, the higher the chance attendance can be made in a timely manner and the vehicle located in the area.

Report hooning and speeding vehicles

If the incident is currently occuring and requires immediate Police assistance, please report anti-social driver behaviour or speeding to Police on 131 444.

If the incident is no longer occurring and Police assistance is not required, please lodge a complaint online via the Report a Hoon (Traffic Complaint) form.

Please note: For incidents that have occurred in the last 30 minutes do not use the online form. Contact Police by phone on 131 444.

What can the City of Cockburn do?

City Ranger and Security Services (Co-Safe) unfortunately have no control or power to counteract such behaviour except to act as a deterrent or attend to obtain evidence where the Police cannot attend.

As City Services have no powers in relation to driving as described above they are unable to pursue any vehicles related to offences in this matter.

If this type of driving behaviour is occurring on Council land or reserves please contact the City on 9411 3444.

Where there are continued speeding or hooning issues in a particular street and other methods have failed to remedy the issue then contact should be made with the City's Traffic Engineering team for advice and consideration of Traffic Calming Devices.

More information and contact

For more information about hooning and speeding vehicles, please call the City on 08 9411 3444 or email



City of Cockburn
Whadjuk Boodja
9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Social Media

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaadatj dayin boodja, kep wer malayin. Ngalak kaadatj koora koora wer yeyi ngalang birdiya.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past, present and emerging.