Cat Microchipping and Sterilisation

Under the Cat Act 2011, all cats aged six months or over in Western Australia are required to:

  • Be registered with the City of Cockburn

  • Be microchipped

  • Wear the required registration tags

  • Be sterilised (approved cat breeder exempt)
Failure to do so may result in a fine. The City provides assistance through a cat sterilisation subsidy.

Fore more information refer to the following pages:

 Microchip your cat

By law all cat owners must microchip their cat and report the number to the City. Microchipped cats can be easily identified and reunited with their owners if they are lost. 

All local councils scan cats that are picked up for a microchip, which means they can obtain your details from the microchip database and contact you to collect your cat.

How do I microchip my cat?

Microchipping can be carried out by your local Vet.

They will then register you cats microchip number with a Microchip Company for you. If you are not sure if your cat is already microchipped please contact your Vet who will be able to scan your cat to check for an existing microchip number. 

What happens if I don’t microchip my cat?

Under the Cat Act 2011, it is mandatory for all cat owners to microchip their cat if it is over six months old. You may be fined if you do not comply. 
Your cat can be microchipped at a much younger age. Please contact your Vet for more information on the minimum age for your cat to be microchipped. 

How do I register the microchip number?

You will need to provide the microchip number when registering your cat.

To register your cat’s microchip number, please call 08 9411 3444 or email us. You can also visit us in person at 9 Coleville Crescent, Spearwood between 8.30am and 4.30pm.

How do I update microchip details?

You will need to contact the Microchip Company that the microchip number is registered with to update your contact details on your cats microchip. You can find out which company the microchip is registered with by reviewing your pets Microchip Certificate or by contacting your Vet.
You will also need to notify us of any changes to your or your cats details such as address, phone number, ownership or if your pet has died. To update your contact details with the City, complete the Change of Animal Status Form below.

Change of Animal Status form

Are there excemptions from microchipping?

You may apply for an exemption from microchipping your cat if it has a Vet Certificate stating that implanting a microchip may adversely affect the health or welfare of your cat.

To provide the City a copy of the Vet Certificate, email [email protected] or visit in person at 9 Coleville Crescent, Spearwood between 8.30am and 4.30pm.

or post to:

Ranger Services
9 Coleville Crescent
WA 6163

Breeding cats

All persons or organisations wishing to breed cats must apply for a permit and to register each cat with the City. As a cat owner, you may receive a penalty or face prosecution for failure to comply.



City of Cockburn
Whadjuk Boodja
9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Social Media

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaadatj dayin boodja, kep wer malayin. Ngalak kaadatj koora koora wer yeyi ngalang birdiya.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for Country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past and present.