The Age Friendly Strategy 2016–2021, aims to promote age friendly initiatives and enhance the quality of life of seniors as they age in Cockburn.
It was developed in line with the World Health Organisation’s Age Friendly Cities Framework.
The City of Cockburn has a higher than average proportion of people in the community who are over 55 years of age. By 2026, nearly one quarter of the City’s population will be older than 55.
The City has developed an Age Friendly Strategy in order to accommodate the growing needs of an ageing population. The Age Friendly Strategy was developed in consultation with the community.
It sets out key themes and actions that the City will take over the next five years, including:
- Outdoor spaces and the built environment – clean, accessible and safe
- Transport - infrastructure and public services meet older people’s needs
- Housing - a range of housing options are available to facilitate ageing in place and meet need across the age/well-being continuum
- Inclusion and respect - older people are included in all aspects of community life and are treated with respect
- Social participation - local, accessible and affordable opportunities for social participation are readily available
- Engagement - opportunities for employment, continual learning, civic contribution and volunteering are actively facilitated
- Information - information on services and support is communicated in a variety of formats
- Health and community support - health and community support services are accessible, age-friendly and focused on promoting healthy and active lifestyles.
Join the Age-friendly Reference Group
The Age-friendly Reference Group meets monthly to represent seniors within the community by voicing their concerns, providing advice and exchanging information with City of Cockburn.
The City of Cockburn supports the group by providing facilities for meetings, administrative support and updates on senior-specific issues and opportunities arising within the Cockburn district.
Reference Group Members
The Age-friendly Reference Group is comprised of Seniors living in the City of Cockburn, carer or advocate for a senior, or someone who works in the seniors field either in a voluntary or paid role in the Cockburn.
Acheivements so far:
Seniors parking spaces at Cockburn Gateway Shopping Centre
Seating (park benches) within the City
Freshly painted parking bays and high pressure cleaning at Phoenix Shopping Centre
A new Seniors Directory handbook
Provided consultation on City projects
Supported the implementation of the City of Cockburn Age-friendly Strategy 2016-2021.
Membership nominations are currently open for the Age-friendly Reference Group.
Those interested in a membership, please complete the online nomination form in the link below.
Age-friendly Reference Group nomination form
An Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held every year to consider those nominated and elect members into the group.
The membership terms are for two years with 50% of the membership coming up for election one year and the other 50% in the next, in order to maintain continuity. If positions for membership become available during the year then new nominations can be considered.
Alternatively, contact the Cockburn Seniors Centre via email or phone the City to discuss and ensure you agree with the Terms of Reference on 08 9411 3444.
The Age Friendly Strategy 2016-2021
You can download the summary of the Age Friendly Strategy 2016-2021 from the related documents section below, or obtain a hard copy from the Cockburn Seniors Centre, Cockburn Libraries, and Administration building.
Please contact the Seniors Centre Coordinator for more information on 08 9411 3444 or at [email protected].