Nominations for the City of Cockburn’s prestigious Sports Hall of Fame officially opened on Monday, 6 November 2023.
The Hall of Fame celebrates Cockburn’s storied local athletes, past and present, along with the junior clubs that helped to develop their talents. It also honours high level sports administrators which can include officiating, governing and/or working within the media.
Twenty-two athletes have been inducted so far, ranging from AFL legends, Glen Jakovich and Peter Sumich, to champion lawn bowlers, Smiljana Jakovich and Steve Srhoy.
Athletes may nominate themselves, or another person can nominate on their behalf.
To be eligible an athlete must:
- have been a resident of the City of Cockburn for five years or more
- have demonstrated a consistent high standard of elite level sports performance at national or international level
- have been a participant in sport or involved in sports administration at an elite national or international competition
- have competed in the open age category of their chosen sport
- have been selected to represent their chosen sport by a National or International Sporting body.
Nominees can be deceased or living.
The Hall features at two locations in the City. The original is located at the City's administration building, with plaques honouring the inductees lining the pillars of the walkway leading to the Council Chambers. In 2017 a second location was chosen inside the Cockburn ARC, adding to the celebration of our local athletes within a world class sporting facility.
To nominate an athlete please visit our website page.
Nominations will close at 4pm, Friday 15 December 2023.
For more information on the Sports Hall of Fame please contact our Recreation Services Team: [email protected] or 9411 3444.