Infrastructure & Buildings
Start: Mid 2018
Finish: Late 2024
Malabar Park is home of the Cockburn BMX Club. The site is accessible to both club members and the wider community.
The City began planning a redevelopment in 2018 to address ageing infrastructure. The need for this redevelopment grew following the Covid-19 pandemic, when the facilities fell into disrepair.
The Cockburn BMX Club have continued to engage their members, with a view to return to full activities at the site after the redevelopment.
At the August 2023 Ordinary Council Meeting, Council accepted a $6.88M tender from MG Group (Menchetti Consolidated Pty Ltd) to take on this project.
Work is scheduled for completion by the end of 2024.
Funding includes a $100,000 grant from the State Government’s Community Sporting and Recreation Facilities Fund for floodlighting. Cockburn BMX Club will provide a $20,000 contribution upon the project’s completion.
The redeveloped Malabar Park will become home to 2023 Volunteer WA Community Organisation of the Year - Friends of the Community Inc. who are local charitable organisation selling food at events and reinvesting 100% of its profits back into the community.
What will the new facility include?
- A Union Cyclist Internationale (UCI) BMX racing track that has the ability to host national level events
- A new 5 metre start ramp for training and racing
- Rationalising the existing infrastructure on site
- New multi-purpose facility that includes areas for Cockburn BMX and Friends of the Community Inc.
- Formalising car parking
- Creating a space for the wider community to access that includes a pump track, playground, public toilet and BBQ area.
These upgrades will allow the facility to host national-level BMX competitions and events.
The City will finalise contracts with MG Group shortly. Handover of the site to commence works is expected to occur later in the year.