Planning Application

When do I need a planning application?

You will need to lodge an application for planning approval prior to undertaking development or use of land within the City unless the type of development or use is exempt from requiring planning approval. A list of exemptions can be obtained at Town Planning Scheme opens in a new window.

If you’re unsure as to whether your proposal requires planning approval, please contact the City’s Statutory Planning Service.

Pre-application planning meetings

The City has a service for pre-application meetings. You will need to make an appointment with Statutory Planning by contacting the City’s Statutory Planning Service.

Design Review Panel

Certain types of complex planning applications are required to be presented through the City’s design review process prior to formally lodging the application. The Design Review Panel, which consists of independent architecture and design experts will work with you to achieve the best possible design outcome. The City's Design Review Panel Policy opens in a new window indicates the types of applications and processes.

How can I submit a planning application?

  • Online via eProperty opens in a new window (if you have previously lodged for a Planning Application use your login email and password)
  • By post
  • In person at the City's Administration Building.

Planning application process and timeframe

To lodge a planning application, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Submit an application opens in a new window via eProperty opens in a new window(if you have previously lodged for a Planning Application use your login email and password)
  2. Complete and upload all forms in the Application package for Planning approval (Please see forms in the related documents below)

Your application will be processed within the statutory timeframe being between 60 to 90 days (depending on advertising and the period of time for advertising as required), in accordance with Section 52 (2) of the Planning and Development (Local Planning Scheme) Regulations 2015.

Joint Development Assessment Panel applications

Certain types of planning applications are required to be determined by the Joint Development Assessment Panel. Under the regulations, each Joint Development Assessment Panel will determine development applications that meet certain type and value thresholds as if it were the responsible authority under the relevant planning instrument, such as the local planning scheme or region planning scheme.

The regulations state that Joint Development Assessment Panel applications cannot be determined by local government or the Western Australian Planning Commission.

For more information on the Joint Development Assessment Panel process, please refer to the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage opens in a new window.

Subdivision applications

The Western Australian Planning Commission is responsible for approving all subdivision applications and certain classes of strata subdivision applications in our State.

Information and comment from the relevant local government, any public authority or utility services provider are also included in this assessment prior to a decision being made on the proposed plan.

For further information on lodging a subdivision application and the relevant forms, refer to the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage. opens in a new window

Subdivision clearance applications

Once conditional subdivision approval has been granted by the Western Australian Planning Commission and works have been completed, developers are required to lodge an application for clearance with the City.

Part of the subdivision clearance process, is for the developer to demonstrate compliance with their subdivision conditions.

Lodging a subdivision clearance application

To lodge a subdivision clearance application, you will need to complete the following steps.
  1. You can submit an application for subdivision clearance online via eProperty.
  2. The subdivision clearance application forms must be completed. See forms in the related documents below.

Built strata applications

A built strata generally will have already received approvals from both the City and where relevant, state authorities during the planning and building process.

This means only an additional approval from the City is needed to ensure the development is in accordance with the planning approval.

The built strata approval is issued in two parts by the City, one being the Form 15A which ensures compliance with the original plans of approval, and the other being the Form 15C, which ensures all conditions of planning approval have been complied with.

To lodge an application with the City for a Form 15A and/or Form 15C built strata, the built strata application forms must be completed.

Local development plan applications

Local development plans are used in limited situations to guide the design and development of small and constrained lots or to achieve particular design outcomes. Local development plans are often required as a result of a subdivision condition imposed by the Western Australian Planning Commission for subdivision approval.

Lodging a local development plan application

To lodge a local development plan application you will need to complete the following steps:
  1. You can submit a local development plan application online via eProperty.
  2. The local development plan must be lodged with the application.
The application must include:
  • A cover letter detailing the specifics of the local development plan
  • A scaled local development plan and
  • The appropriate fee being paid.

Section 40 Liquor Licence applications 

Section 40 of the Liquor Control Act 1988 requires a certificate from the local planning authority to be submitted for the grant or removal of a licence, or for a change in the use or condition of any premises, unless otherwise determined.

The following additional information is required to be submitted to the City:

  • Section 40 pro-forma application form
  • Application fee
  • A copy of the planning approval relevant to the use of the site
  • The proposed hours of operation.

For more information on what is required as part of the Section 40 application process refer to the information sheet.

Written planning advice applications

If you have queries pertaining to development or potential development of a site, you may wish to apply for written planning advice. Written planning advice is provided without prejudice and does not constitute an approval.

The purpose of written planning advice is to provide general advice only, anything technical may not be addressed. Anything personal pertaining to the property (i.e. past approvals) may require a separate Freedom of Information request.

To request written planning advice, landowners consent is mandatory. A fee is incurred for written planning advice and can be requested via the City's website.

Retrospective planning approval

Retrospective planning approval is required when development or use of land commences without planning approval having been obtained.

Whoever undertook the development without obtaining planning approval must then lodge an application for the works that have occurred.

If the party who undertook the works without planning approval no longer owns or has an association with the land, it is the responsibility of the current landowner to seek and obtain retrospective planning approval.

To lodge an application with the City for a retrospective planning application, the development application forms must be completed, the appropriate retrospective fee paid and relevant plans and details pertaining to the proposal to be provided.

More information and contact

Please contact the City’s Statutory Planning Services for more information on 08 9411 3444 or at

Social Media Share Links below open in a new window



9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Language Support

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaadatj dayin boodja, kep wer malayin. Ngalak kaadatj koora koora wer yeyi ngalang birdiya.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past, present and emerging.