Local development plans are used to guide and coordinate the design and development of small and constrained lots. Developments that comply with local development plans may be exempt from the development approvals process. You can search for existing local development plans via the City’s online mapping system.
A local development plan is a mechanism used to coordinate and assist in achieving better built form outcomes by linking lot design to future development. Local development plans can support the design and coordination of development on small and highly constrained lots, as well as supplement development standards contained in local planning schemes and the Residential Design Codes (R-Codes). The City may also use local development plans to streamline the development approval process, with compliant development exempt from the requirement to obtain development approval.
Local development plans may be developed for:
- Lots with an area less than 260m2 and irregularly configured lots
- Lots where specific vehicle access and egress control is required
- Lots abutting public open space
- Local and neighbourhood centres
- Lots that have been identified to accommodate a future change of use
- Lots with particular site constraints (e.g. steeply sloping land)
- Lots affected by bushfire prone mapping
- To address noise buffer and amelioration requirements.
Local development plans are available via the City’s Online Mapping System. The process is as follows:
- Open the Interactive Online Mapping System
- Once the Mapping System is open, select “Planning - Zoning” from the modules
- Take note of the areas on the map outlined in blue. This is where there are current plans to view
- Once you have found the area you wish to view, click on the blue lined area. This turns the area red and you will see that the local development plan becomes available in the right corner
- To view click on "local development plan" highlighted in blue.
Please contact the City’s Statutory Planning Services team for more information on Local Development Plans on 08 9411 3444 or at firstname.lastname@example.org