Planning approval may be required when changing the use in buildings or land associated with retail, commercial and industrial activities. Find out how to apply for a change of use planning approval.
A change of use relates to a change made to an existing use of land and/or building and usually refers to business activities of a retail, commercial or industrial nature. You may be affected if you are setting up a new business in Cockburn or moving from one premises within the area to another.
Planning approval may be required when seeking to change the use of an existing building or land from one use to another.
In some cases, building approval may also be required.
The City considers the following criteria when assessing an application for a change of use for a building or land:
- Parking requirements under the Town Planning Scheme No. 3 (TPS 3). Different uses have different parking requirements. For example, a ‘Warehouse’ will have a lesser parking requirement to an ‘Office’
- Whether the proposed use is permitted, discretionary or not permitted under TPS3. Different uses have different permissibility depending on the zoning of the lot
- In some instances, the number of staff proposed to be working from the premises and the number of customers who will visit the building
- The nature of the proposal including details on the operation of the business
- In some instances, the hours of operation of the proposed use.
Forms, fees and application information
Please view the Planning Application page for more information on submitting a change of use application, including forms and fees. Once planning approval is obtained, a Building Permit may be required from the City’s Building Services if you wish to make any modifications to the building (including fit out, partitioning etc).
Please contact the City’s Statutory Planning Services team for more information on changes to building and land use on 08 9411 3444 or at firstname.lastname@example.org