The City's Community Grants Program financially supports local not-for-profit, incorporated community groups and organisations to provide projects, programs or activities that benefit residents of Cockburn.
Community Grants are not for recurring annual expenses, they are for "one-off" projects or events, pilot programs, or establishment of a group or activity. A project will only be funded once.
Community grants are available to not-for-profit groups in the City who:
- Primarily serve the residents of Cockburn
- Can demonstrate a high level of community support
- Can demonstrate financial stability and sound project management.
- Include a financial and/or in-kind contribution to the project.
- Can identify how their project meets an identified need in line with one of the themes of the City’s Strategic Community Plan.
Applications are invited from not-for-profit community-managed groups, welfare, education, arts/cultural, youth, seniors, children, ethnic and related groups.
Community grants can be used for a range of purposes including:
- Minor capital works
- Pilot programs
- Brochures/ pamphlets
- Art works
The project or activity must:
- Be of benefit to the local community and/or the City of Cockburn generally
- Meet an identified need
- Not require commitment to ongoing funding from the City.
- Not duplicate an activity already available in the local area.
The maximum funding available to any one group or organisation in the Community Grant category will not exceed $15,000, however grants will generally be approved for a lesser amount.
Applications that can demonstrate a financial or in-kind contribution will be considered favourably, as will those who source funding from other sources.
As the funding pool is limited, applications that demonstrate the best value for money will be prioritised, and priority will also be given to applicants who have not previously been funded.
Community Grant applications will be open each year in March and September. Funding rounds are advertised publicly in local newspapers, on the City’s website and social media, and in e-newsletters.
Closing dates are noted on the online application forms, and will be assessed and notified within two months of the outcome of the application.
Projects or events must not commence within two months of the application closing date, as funding cannot be awarded retrospectively.
The successful request for a Community Grant in any year does not imply any ongoing commitment of the same or similar contribution in following years.
Applicants must be based in the City of Cockburn or be able to demonstrate that you primarily serve the Cockburn community or looking to provide a service in Cockburn that will benefit the Cockburn community.
Applications from Schools, P&Cs, P&Fs and other educational institutions must be in accordance with Council Guidelines opens in a new window, and satisfy the following additional criteria:
- There is an identified community need for the project or activity.
- The project or activity is extra-curricular and accessible to the wider Cockburn community outside of school hours (clearly outside the Education Department’s area of responsibility).
- There is a financial or in-kind contribution of at least 50% or more to the project or activity.
Funding will not be provided:
- Retrospectively for any events or projects that have already occurred, or due to occur within two months’ of the application’s lodgement.
- For any activity or event that will be divisive in communities by denigrating, excluding, or offending community groups.
- If your activity or event may present a hazard to the community or environment.
- If you have not acquitted any previous City of Cockburn funding.
- To private organisations.
- For personal items such as uniforms, food consumables or catering costs.
Some further limitations on funding amounts apply for:
- Recurring community events such as Christmas Carols or equivalent annual events.
- Incorporation/establishment costs.
Please read the above information and guidelines attached below, then contact Community Grants on 08 9411 3444 during business hours, or at [email protected] to discuss before you submit an application.
Apply for a Community Grant opens in a new window
Contact Community Grants on 08 9411 3444 or [email protected] to discuss your application.
Further information can be found in the Policy and in the Guidelines and tips below