Major road projects that the City of Cockburn is or will be undertaking in 2020-21, some with the state or federal government/ organisations include:
Jandakot Road Upgrade Project
The City of Cockburn is committed to upgrading Jandakot Road in Jandakot, to accommodate the growing number of vehicles using the road and improving safety for road users and pedestrians. The upgrade includes the duplication of the two-lane single carriageway road to a dual carriageway road with two lanes in each direction.
The project involves significant modifications to the vertical and horizontal alignments of Jandakot Road which will improve the level of service and site visibility. The duplication of Jandakot Road will take place in two stages, with Stage 1 complete. Stage 2 construction is expected to commence imid 2021, with completion due late 2021/ early 2022.
Stage 1 - completed
This stage of the project involved the duplication of Jandakot Road from Fraser Road to just prior to the intersection with Solomon Road. It also included:
- Upgrade of Solomon Road between Cutler Road to just prior to the Jandakot/ Solomon Road intersection
- Jandakot Road intersection upgrades at Coonadoo Court, Cessna Drive and Fraser Road
- Solomon Road intersection upgrades at Peppworth Place and Dollier Road
- Construction of intersections at Jandakot Road and Clementine Boulevard, and at Solomon Road and Greensand Promenade.
The City of Cockburn, the state government and a developer were all responsible for Stage 1.
Stage 2 - construction starting mid 2021
This stage of the project involves the duplication of Jandakot Road from Solomon Road through to Berrigan Drive. It includes:
- Construction of a roundabout at the Jandakot Road intersection with Solomon Road
- Jandakot Road intersection upgrades at Boeing Way and Falcon Place
- Construction of a new roundabout and intersection to access the Urbanstone site
- Construction of Open Grade Asphalt (OGA) wearing course which will improve road surface drainage and reduce noise generated by traffic
- Drainage pipelines and structures
- Construction of retaining wall structures
- New Principal Shared Path (PSP)
- Linemarking and traffic signs
- New streetlighting system
A detailed design has been completed for Stage 2 of the project. Request for tenders from qualified contractors were issued in December 2020, with tenders closing 20 January 2021. It is expected that construction will commence mid 2021, and finish at the end of 2021 or early 2022.
The road component is estimated to cost $9.7M, with $6.3M coming from the State Government’s Metropolitan Regional Roads Board funds, and the balance of $3.4M funded by the City.
Find out more about the Jandakot Road upgrade
Hammond Road, Success
Hammond Road between Branch Circus and Bertram Road in Success is being upgraded. Stage 1 of the upgrade has commenced and includes the relocation of underground services. Stage 2 is scheduled for mid-2021 to 2023 and involves upgrading Hammond Road to two lanes each way and installing new roundabouts at three key intersections.
View the diagram below.