Noise Regulations and Monitoring

Noise is unwanted sound that can cause a disturbance. There are many sources of noise. The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 opens in a new window outline suitable noise emissions. Breaches of these guidelines may result in fines, warning notices or the seizure of equipment. Please try to resolve noise issues with your neighbours before making a complaint to the City. City Health Officer can investigate noise complaints.

What is noise?

Noise is described as unwanted sound that can cause a disturbance. There are many sources of noise in residential areas.

What noise laws exist?

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 opens in a new window outline permitted and excessive noise decibel levels. It is an offence to create excessive noise emissions that occur at a frequency, time of day or duration that unreasonably affects the health and amenity of surrounding residents. Under the Environmental Protection Act 1986, legal action such as fines, notices and seizures of equipment may be taken. WA Police and City officers have the power to issue fines, notices or seize property in response to noise complaints under these laws.

What do I do if I am having a problem with noise in my neighbourhood?

Approach your neighbour and respectfully explain how the noise is affecting you. If possible, try to come to a resolution so that your neighbour may continue the activity, perhaps for a shorter time, at a different time of day or when you will not be home.
If this isn’t possible, you can ask the City to investigate the noise by submitting a Noise Complaint Form. If further information is required, you may be asked to complete a Record of Events Sheet, noting the date, time and duration of the noise emissions over a fortnight. 
Please note the City cannot investigate one-off noise occurrences or parties.
Please contact the City to Report an Issue or to Make a Complaint.

Out-of-hours noise

Police should be contacted for all noise complaints occurring outside office hours. For low-risk situations contact CoSafe for further information. The City’s Health Services can set up noise monitoring equipment for ongoing complaints at residential properties to record noise emissions overnight or at weekends. 

More information and contact

Please contact Health Services to discuss noise on 08 9411 3444 or at Please contact the City to report an issue or make a complaint.

Social Media Share Links below open in a new window

Related Documents

Document name Downloadable files
Health Services Record of Nuisance Events Form PDF document



9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Language Support

Visit the City of Cockburn homepage

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaadatj dayin boodja, kep wer malayin. Ngalak kaadatj koora koora wer yeyi ngalang birdiya.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past, present and emerging.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are warned that this website may contain images and voices of deceased persons.