The City relaunched CoSafe in 2020. The service uses local knowledge to provide a more reliable and responsive community security service. The service uses City employed officers and a local call centre with staff who know Cockburn.
With more specialised training, officers are better equipped to provide effective solutions, have greater out-of-hours authority, and are supported by over 500 fixed and 300 mobile CCTV cameras.
Call 1300 26 72 33
View video transcript.
CoSafe operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Officers undertake specialised training to manage a wide range of issues in the community such as:
- Making a lot of noise in the street
- Acting in an intimidating manner
- Acting in an unacceptable way.
If you feel unsafe, contact CoSafe immediately. CoSafe will seek compliance from the offending person/group. If necessary, CoSafe will seek police involvement.
If it doesn’t look or feel right, it probably isn’t.
If you report a car:
- Explain why the vehicle and driver are acting suspiciously e.g. driving slowly and pulling randomly into driveways
- Describe the car - make, model, colour, registration and any distinguishing features e.g. car stickers, broken light.
If you report a person:
• Explain why the person is acting suspiciously e.g. shining a torch through windows
• Describe the person - gender, colour/length/type of hair, complexion, build, facial hair, tattoos/scars, age and type of clothing.
CoSafe attend to noise complaints on behalf of the City. Noise levels will be observed from the complainant’s verge. When a second call is received for the same address, we will notify police. Police will also be notified if noise is a result of a party and there is a concern it will escalate.
- Damage to property
- Damage to trees or playground equipment.
CoSafe also handle out-of-hour Rangers functions, removal of abandoned vehicles and investigation of illegal fires.
After extensive research including talking to a wide cross section of our community, residents indicated their desire for a ‘community-first model’. As such, CoSafe delivers on the following.
- More responsive, making it quicker to attend call-outs
- Officers and Team Leaders with local knowledge
- More authority to respond to issues ‘out-of-hours’
- More CoSafe vehicles patrolling in peak periods
- Greater use of CCTV & other cameras
- More help for local businesses
- More effective solutions and engagement with the community
- More specialised training provided to officers
- More out-of-hours duties
- Handle urgent out-of-hour Rangers functions
- Removal of abandoned vehicles
- Investigation of illegal fires.
- More cost effective
- The new employment and staffing restructure will save $200,000-$400,000 annually.
More CCTV, including mobile and covert cameras as well as artificial intelligence monitoring and alert software are used and based in the CoSafe control room, one of the most advanced in WA. Through the control room, over 800 cameras alert the team to any emerging issues in real time, making it a truly technology driven, responsive and reliable service.
Team Leaders are employed by the City and have additional authority to assist with urgent breaches of some of the City’s local laws. The service works closely with WA Police on matters that affect our community, and advocate and escalate community concerns as required.
The service is solutions focused. Some calls will be transferred to the Police if needed, but for those that can be dealt with by CoSafe, they will be handled quickly, professionally and have a solution oriented outcome.
Opening hours and contacts
CoSafe operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Holiday watch service
Going on holiday? A CoSafe patrol officer can monitor your property while you are away. For more details or to request this service, visit CoSafe Holiday Watch Service.
Please call 1300 26 72 33