The City is currently developing an Action Plan that will be submitted to Council for approval in 2021.
The City of Cockburn has a licence to extract groundwater for the irrigation of Public Open Spaces, Sporting Ovals and Streetscapes from the Department of Water. The licence sets the amount if water that can be taken from the ground at specific locations and outlines other management conditions.
The Parks Team have developed and implemented a water conversation strategy to ensure the City complies with the licence. Actions include:
- Bore Meeting
- Replacing inefficient irrigation systems
- Grouping plants of similar water requirements to conserve water
- Designing irrigation systems for these plant species
- Soil monitoring equipment (indicates the water levels in the soil profile)
- Undertaking turf renovation programs
- Applying watering programs to meet the amount of water that can be taken from the ground
- Planting of appropriate trees and shrubs that require minimal water.
All Local Governments are not permitted to irrigate between 9am and 6pm, however exemptions apply:
- Installing, testing and repairing reticulation systems
- Applying wetting agents and fertilisers
- Firefighting requirements
- Establishment of new turf, gardens or grass covered sporting grounds