In accordance with Clause 5.24(1) of the Local Government Act 1995, the City invites questions from members of the public at Council meetings. Please follow the guidelines for submitting a public question to the City.
Public Question Time at Council Meetings provides members of the public an opportunity to submit questions and receive responses during the meeting.
- Ordinary Council Meeting
- Special Council Meeting as related to the purpose of the meeting
- Audit and Strategic Finance Committee meeting, to which the Council has delegated a power or duty, as related to items on the Committee Agenda.
A period of fifteen minutes is allocated for Public Question Time at each meeting. When all questions by members of the public have been presented and responded to, any unused portion of the allocated time may be used for other matters.
All members of the public wishing to submit a question or questions at a meeting (as per Clause 5.24 of the Local Government Act 1995) shall be given an equal and fair opportunity to do so, subject to time constraints or limitations imposed by the Presiding Member.
Questions submitted to a Council Meeting are required to be received prior to 10am on the day of the meeting. Submit questions via the online 'Public Question Time' form (below) or in writing to the Chief Executive Officer. Questions should be specific and not include statements or other information.
The Presiding Member will invite members of the public to ask their question(s) in order of registration, thus ensuring a fair process.
The prescribed Public Question Time form can be downloaded under Documents below, or obtained in person at the front counter of the City of Cockburn Administration Building in Spearwood or at one of the City’s libraries in Spearwood, Coolbellup or Success.
Public questions that are received after 10am on the day of the meeting, or that lapse due to the questioner not being in attendance at the meeting, will not be responded to during Public Question Time. These questions will be registered as a Customer Request and responded to by an Officer of Council after the meeting.
Reasons a public question will not be accepted:
- it contains offensive remarks
- it relates to personal affairs or actions of Elected Members or staff
- it relates to confidential matters
- it relates to legal action
- the Presiding Member believes the question has been answered in earlier responses at the current or earlier meetings
- are statements
Please submit your questions by 10am on the day of the meeting, either:
- In writing addressed to the Chief Executive Officer
- Via the online form below
- In person at the City's Administration building
Please contact the City for more information on 08 9411 3444 or at email@example.com.