Construction, Commercial and Industrial Noise

Permitted noise levels

Noise is unwanted sound that can cause a disturbance.

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 opens in a new window impose permitted noise levels. It is an offence to create excessive noise emissions that occur at a frequency, time of day or duration that unreasonably affects the health and amenity of surrounding residents. 

Under the Environmental Protection Act 1986 opens in a new window, enforcement action such as fines, notices and seizures of equipment may be undertaken. WA Police and Environmental Health Officers have the power to issue fines, notices or seize property in response to noise complaints under these laws.

Detailed information on noise requirements for construction, commercial and industrial noise, is provided below:

Commercial and industrial noise

Noise from Commercial and industrial sites that could affect residential areas, needs to comply with the permitted noise levels.

Complaints can often be resolved by contacting the relevant company. However, if the noise issue continues, you can submit a noise complaint.

The City’s Environmental Health Officers can investigate complaints about commercial and industrial areas. 

Construction noise during daytime hours

Noisy construction works may be carried out between 7am and 7pm, Monday to Saturday (excluding Sundays and public holidays), the following conditions:

Out of hours construction noise

For construction work done outside of the permitted hours of 7am and 7pm, Monday to Saturday (excluding Sundays and public holidays), the builder must:

  • Show that it is reasonably necessary for construction work to be done out of hours and submit an Application for Approval of a Noise Management Plan for Out of Hours Construction Noise (see below)
  • Submit a Noise Management Plan to the Manager Environmental Health at least seven days before the construction work starts. This plan must be approved before works commence.

The Noise Management Plan must include details of:

  • The need for the construction work to be done out of hours
  • The types of activity that may be noisy
  • Noise level predictions
  • Proposed noise and vibration control measures
  • Proposed methods of noise and vibration monitoring
  • Complaint response procedures.

Noise complaints

Having problems with ongoing noise in your neighbourhood?

In the first instance, we recommend you:

  • Approach the business concerned to politely and respectfully explain how the noise is affecting you.

If you would like one of the City’s Environmental Health Officers to investigate  noise in your neighbourhood, please submit a Public Health Complaint Form.

You may be asked to complete a record of events, noting the date, time and duration of the noise emissions over at least a fortnight (see form below). The City’s Environmental Health Officers may need to obtain sound level measurements from your property as part of the investigation.

Drones and model aircraft noise

If you have a complaint surrounding the use of drones in your area or on Council Land, you can report it to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority opens in a new window.

More information and contact

Please contact Health Services for more information on commercial and industrial noise on 08 9411 3444 or at [email protected].

Social Media Share Links below open in a new window



9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaadatj dayin boodja, kep wer malayin. Ngalak kaadatj koora koora wer yeyi ngalang birdiya.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past, present and emerging.