Many households in the City have two waste disposal bins. These are the yellow-lidded recycling bin and the green-lidded general waste bin. It is important to know what goes in what bin.
About the two bin system
Cockburn residents living in properties under 400m2
, multi-residential properties or rural properties have two household bins for waste disposal.
What can I place in my yellow-lidded recycling bin?
The contents of this bin are sent to the Materials Recovery Facility at the Regional Resource Recovery Centre where they are separated, baled and sent to be recycled. You can dispose of the following items in your yellow-lidded recycling bin:
- All plastics including cling wrap and plastic bags
- All glass
- Plastic bottles (empty with lids off)
- Steel and aluminium cans
- Aerosols (empty)
- Cardboard, paper, newspapers, magazines
- Pizza boxes with food scraps scraped off
- Chip, lolly and pie wrappers
- Aluminium foil
Please rinse and empty containers and do not bag items - place them directly in the bin.
What can I place in my dark green-lidded general waste bin?
The contents of this bin are sent to the Waste Composting Facility at the Regional Resource Recovery Centre where they are converted to compost. You can dispose of the following items in your dark green-lidded recycling bin:
- All garden waste including grass clippings, twigs, sticks and prunings
- Food scraps
- Items contaminated with food e.g. paper towel, serviettes, tissues, paper plates, pizza boxes and fish & chip paper
- Pet excrement
- Pet hair & fur
- Soiled items
- Shredded paper
- Sanitary items
- Cotton wool & cotton wool buds
- Clothing that cannot be sent to charity.
What items cannot be placed in either of the bins?
Some items should not be placed into either of your bins, including:
- Batteries, mobile phones, printer cartridges and light bulbs. These can all be dropped off at recycling points at our three libraries
- Spray paint and chemicals need to be taken to the Henderson Waste Recovery Park
- Good quality clothes can be taken to charity shops, otherwise use the dark green lidded bin.
More information and contact
Please contact the City’s Waste Services for more information on household waste and recycling on 08 9411 3444 or at email@example.com