The contents of this bin are sent to the Suez opens in a new window Materials Recovery Facility in Bibra Lake where they are separated, baled and sent to be recycled. You can dispose of the following items in your yellow-lidded recycling bin:
- All hard plastic tubs, bottles and containers
- All glass bottles and jars
- Steel and aluminium cans
- Cardboard, paper, newspapers, magazines (not shredded)
Please rinse and empty containers. Remove lids. Do not bag items - place them directly in the bin.
The contents of this bin are sent to landfill at the Henderson Waste Recovery Park. You can dispose of the following items in your dark green or red-lidded general waste bin:
- Non-recyclable general waste
- All garden waste including grass clippings, twigs, sticks and prunings
- Food scraps
- Items contaminated with food e.g. paper towel, serviettes, tissues, paper plates, pizza boxes and fish & chip paper
- Pet excrement
- Pet hair & fur
- Soiled items
- Shredded paper
- Sanitary items
- Cotton wool & cotton wool buds
- Clothing that cannot be sent to charity.
Some items should not be placed into either of your bins, including:
- Batteries, mobile phones, printer cartridges and light bulbs can be dropped off at recycling hubs at any of the City's libraries
- Spray paint, chemicals, gas bottles, aerosol cans and other hazardous household waste can be taken to Henderson Waste Recovery Park.
If you are ineligible for the three bin system and you remain on the two bin system, your dark-green general waste bin lid will be replaced with a red lid in 2019. This is to ensure that bin lid colours are consistent throughout the City. The bin lid colours the City is using meet the Australian Standard 4123.7 2006.
This also complies with the State Government's Better Bins program, which aims to increase consistency of waste management across Western Australia. Ensuring that everyone's bins are the same colour makes it easier for us all to know what goes in each bin.
This project is supported by the Waste Authority through the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Account.