About Cockburn Youth Advisory Collective
The Youth Advisory Collective (YAC) is a volunteer group of young people aged 12-24 years who live, work or study in the City of Cockburn. The YAC brings together young people who want to develop themselves and make a difference in their community. YAC is focused on empowering youth-led, youth-driven projects which give young people the ability to organise and lead projects that benefit their communities.
About This Opportunity
As a Youth Leader, you will participate in fortnightly 1-hour meetings. You will raise a positive profile of young people in our community and attend community and youth events to promote the YAC, support the City’s Youth Services Strategy and advocate for local youth issues. You will represent the YAC at City of Cockburn organised events, such as the Australian Citizenship Ceremonies. Additionally, you will work together with the Youth Development Officer to increase membership and youth participation. You will discuss and decide the outcome of grants applications.
You may be seeking experience that helps you develop leadership and communication skills. Or to make a positive impact in your community.
For this role you will:
- Have good communication skills and be a great team player
- Be curious about learning, life, and community
- Have an empathic or compassionate nature
- Have a desire to understand as well as learn from other YAC members
- Have access to email and be able to undertake online and face-to-face training (internet access and a willingness to learn)
- Prior volunteer work or community contributions is a bonus but not essential.
You Will Gain:
- Written reference / recommendation letter from the Youth Development Officer
- Community service hours recorded (if requested by school or another organisation)
- Skill development and training by the City of Cockburn staff and other organisations
- Invitation to City volunteer ‘thank you’ events
- Possibility of being nominated to City and external awards
- Reimbursement of approved out-of-pocket expenses related to the role
- YAC t-shirt and badge
- Fully catered meetings
- Build connections and make friends within the local community
How to Become a Youth Leader
Express interest below by clicking the 'Apply' button
Apply to be a Youth Leader for Youth Advisory Collective
Once we receive your expression of interest, we will be in touch within 1-3 business days so we can find out more about each other. If we are a good fit for each other, we'll ask you to formally apply and come for an interview. We will talk you through how to join Cockburn Youth Advisory Collective and start your volunteer journey.
Please note, if you are under 18 years of age, your parent or guardian will need to complete the consent section on the online form.
Regular - more than 6 months
Attendance at fortnightly meetings (1 hour). Every second Wednesday during school terms from 5 - 6pm at the Cockburn Youth Centre at 25 Wentworth Parade, Success. And at certain weekday or weekend events, depending on your availability.
More information and contact
For more information on the Youth Advisory Collective (YAC), contact the Youth Development Officer by email or by calling 08 9411 3882.