The City of Cockburn is responsible for administering legislation passed by the Federal and State Parliaments of Australia. The Local Government Act 1995 opens in a new window is the main piece of legislation that local governments must follow.
The City of Cockburn is responsible for overseeing the following State and Federal Acts:
- Building Code of Australia
- Dividing Fences Act 1961
- Strata Titles Act 1985
- Bush Fires Act 1954 and associated regulations
- Control of Vehicles (Off-Road Areas) Act 1978
- Dog Act 1976 and associated regulations
- Litter Act 1979 and associated regulations
- Environmental Protection Act 1986
- Health Act 1911 and associated regulations
- Liquor Licensing Act 1988 and associated regulations
- Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare Act 1984 and associated regulations
- Tobacco Control Act 1990 and associated regulations
- Heritage of WA Act 1990
- Metropolitan Region Scheme
- Planning and Development Act 2005
- City of Cockburn District Zoning Scheme No.3
- Valuation of Land Act 1978
- Cemeteries Act 1986
- Justices Act 1902.
The State Law Publisher opens in a new window has more information on West Australian legislation and statutes.
The City of Cockburn has its own Local Laws that are managed by relevant departments.
Please contact the Governance and Risk Coordinator for more information on Acts on 08 9411 3444 or at [email protected].