How do I apply for a business grant? How can I apply if I don’t have a computer?
Applications for business grants are made online through SmartyGrants
. SmartyGrants is an easy to use, secure portal that keeps all your application documents in one place. You will need access to the internet and a computer, tablet or smart phone to use SmartyGrants.
What kinds of projects have been approved for funding in the past?
The City’s libraries provide free access to computers when you join the library. To find out about joining the library visit Cockburn Libraries
What supporting documents will I need to have ready for my application?
Each year business grants fund a range of projects across the different streams of funding.
In 2023, 29 local businesses shared over $100,000 worth of funding for projects such as:
- A professional bike fitting service delivered by a local physio therapist
- A mobile sensory gym delivered by an occupational therapist
- Development of an e-commerce website for a cookie company
- Trade show exhibitor stand for a local fishing tackle retailer.
Find out more about the 2023 grant winners
What does a quotation need to include to be valid?
Supporting documentation is a vital part of your grant application. Unfortunately many valid applications cannot proceed due to insufficient supporting documentation.
Supporting documents may include:
When will I need to provide a quotation?
Please ensure that if you are requesting funding for items of $500 and above, that two quotations are provided.
To be a valid quotation it must include:
Quote issue and expiry date – it is common for a quotation to include a period within which the quotation is valid eg 30 days
ABN/CAN – the organisation providing the quotation must have their ABN or CAN displayed clearly
The price for goods or services.
What is not funded by the Business Grants?
You will need to provide two quotations per item that is over $500. Remember that quotations can take some time to secure, so be prepared and secure your two quotations well in advance of the closing date of each round.
Please note applications that make multiple price estimations for goods and services under $500 are best supported with supporting documentation illustrating the accuracy of these estimates. For example, a photograph of the price tag or screen snip from a website to demonstrate how you reached this estimate if under $500.
- Projects that have already occurred or commenced
- New projects where previous City of Cockburn funding has not been acquitted
- Funding to political parties, government departments and agencies, or individuals
- Projects or programs that rely on existing funding from the City of Cockburn
- Projects that require multi-year funding
- Expenses without documentation
- Payment of debts to any entity
- Items covered by State and Federal government funding packages
- Utility charges
- Council rates
- Insurance payments
- Franchise fees
- Projects or activities which exclude or offend segments of the community
- Projects or activities which could present a hazard to the community or environment or promote antisocial behaviour
- Wages or salaries.
Sustainability Grants Program (A Better Tomorrow)
The Sustainability Grants Program offers funding for projects in Cockburn that align with six sustainability themes, including social equity, climate change resilience, community capacity building, resource efficiency, alternative transport, and public health. Small businesses, schools, not-for-profits, and collective households may apply for up to $4,000 towards a project.
These grants support a wide range of initiatives, for example, native or productive food gardens, TravelSmart events, healthy lifestyle programs, and more. Applications are open year-round, with assessments occurring in April and November.
For detailed information, guidelines, and how to apply, please visit the Sustainability Grants Program
Find other business grants
If you are looking for additional grants, funding, and support programs from across government to help your business grow and succeed, you can search the business.gov.au – grants and programs finder
The Small Business Development Corporation has a useful article on Government Grants: Your Questions Answered
More information and contact
For more information or assistance with grants please contact our Business Engagement Officer on (08) 9411 3444 or email [email protected]