Development Area 20 – Solomon Road
The Cockburn Central East Structure Plan has been prepared to facilitate the planning framework requirements for the Armadale Road and North Lake Road Bridge Interchange Project. The Structure Plan replaces the Solomon Road Structure Plan (2009). Main Roads Western Australia (MRWA) have finalised their design for the significant infrastructure upgrade and extension and as a result the new alignment requires a local planning framework response given the current alignment of Verde Drive identified in the Solomon Road Structure Plan is no longer proceeding.
Furthermore, the Structure Plan seeks to address local planning framework planning requirements to guide the subdivision and development of land surrounding the emerging road network upgrades.
The major road infrastructure project has also been funded for delivery by announcement as part of the 2017 Federal Budget. Further details on timeframes for the Armadale Road and North Lake Road Bridge Interchange Project is provided below.
The primary objectives of the Structure Plan are to:
- Provide direction for future land use planning and the local road network needs as a result of the realignment and connection of Armadale Road and the North Lake Road Bridge, and its associated freeway interchange;
- Provide for the long-term Cockburn Train Station commuter car parking requirements for the Public Transport Authority;
- Promote accessibility to the Cockburn Train Station for the Structure Plan area and the growing urban corridor to the east of Cockburn Central;
- Promote the transition of key areas within the structure plan area into a mixed use transit oriented development;
- Retain and foster employment use over residential use, and;
- Identify staging requirements for short, medium and long term strategic planning land use needs within the immediate vicinity of the Cockburn Train Station, within the core area of the Cockburn Central Activity Centre.
Development Contribution Area No 8 applies to most of the subject area. The City-wide Development Contribution Area No 13 also applies to residential developments. Please refer to the development contributions page for further details.
The City's Strategic Planning Department should be contacted to discuss the development contribution obligations for lots/dwellings in this area.
Structure Plan Map
Visit the Structure Plans page to view the Cockburn Central East Structure Plan.
More information and contacts
Please contact the City's Strategic Planning Department on 08 9411 3444 or email@example.com
State and Federal funding of about $237 million is confirmed for the project. This funding is in addition to $49 million for the widening of Kwinana Freeway northbound from Russell Road to Roe Highway, which is critical to the construction of the new freeway interchange.
The scope of the Cockburn Central East Structure Plan does not extend to the Armadale Road and North Lake Road Bridge Interchange project. This alignment requires a separate approval and design process.
Further details are provided by Main Roads WA:
Armadale Road Upgrade - Tapper Road to Anstey Road
Armadale Road to North Lake Road Bridge
The following table provides information about the delivery of Verde Drive, Prinsep Road extension by key stage/action, when they will occur and who is responsible.
|Survey work to identify required land area for Verde Drive and Prinsep Road extension
||City of Cockburn
||City of Cockburn (Verde Drive)
|Construct Verde Drive and Solomon Road extension
||TBA – Anticipate concurrently with Armadale Road and North Lake Road Bridge Interchange project (Anticipate 2019)
||City of Cockburn
Background details, including the consultation undertaken can be found on Comment on Cockburn.
The Cockburn Central East precinct is the eastern precinct of the Cockburn Central Regional Centre. This is defined as a secondary centre under Directions 2031 and Beyond and State Planning Policy (SPP) 4.2 – Activity Centres for Perth and Peel.