As a developer, there are a number of options and methods to pursue to create affordable housing in Cockburn. There are a range of existing state and national programs, as well as Cockburn-based incentives, to facilitate and support affordable and diverse housing options for the community.
The National Rental Affordability Scheme (NRAS) is a joint initiative by the Commonwealth and State and Territory Governments, to assist in responding to the shortage of affordable rental housing across Australia.
The scheme aims to:
- Increase the supply of new affordable rental housing
- Reduce rental costs for households on low to moderate income
- Support investment and delivery of affordable housing.
Private sector and not-for-profit organisations are eligible to receive financial incentives for up to 10 years on the condition of dwellings under the scheme being rented to eligible households at a discount of at least 20 per cent below the market rate.
The City of Cockburn may grant a floorspace bonus in the event that a development application includes the provision of affordable housing at the following ratio:
- Affordable yield 10 per cent = 30 per cent floorspace bonus
- Affordable yield 20 per cent = 40 per cent floorspace bonus
- Affordable yield 25 per cent = 45 per cent floorspace bonus.
Further bonuses may be granted where dwellings have more than one bedroom.
For further information refer to the Robb Jetty Local Structure Plan.
Please contact the City’s Statutory Planning Services Department on 08 9411 3444 before submitting an application.
Community housing is owned or managed by registered community housing providers.
Partnerships with community housing providers offer a range of incentives including:
- Industry knowledge and experience in the provision and management of affordable and social housing
- Access to private finance and not-for-profit tax exemptions
- Tax and financial advantages over government organisations which allow for a more cost effective operation
- The provision of landlord duties for service-providing organisations that own properties
- High levels of tenant satisfaction.
Visit the Housing Authority for procurement and business opportunities.
There are a number of existing affordable developments throughout Western Australia. Each cater to a diverse community and provide a range of housing options. Examples of three developments are provided below: