The City has a number of key initiatives to improve accessibility for people with disability in Cockburn. These include the accessible facilities at Cockburn ARC, beach matting and beach wheelchair at Port Coogee Marina, the universal playground at Manning Park and a number of fenced playgrounds throughout the City and the changing place and other features of the Bibra Lake Regional Playground.
The key components of the Cockburn ARC facility are fully accessible and include:
- A 25-metre indoor heated pool and 50-metre outdoor heated pool with ramp entry
- Indoor warm water program pool (with spa jet zone) with ramp and hoist access
- Three speciality pools: learn to swim, indoor water playground and three premier water slides
- Hot spa, cold recovery pool, sauna and steam room
- Change facilities catering for families and school/group entry
- Universal access toilets throughout
- Assisted change facility with ceiling hoist and adult size change table
- Six court indoor sports hall
- Wheelchair seating allowances
- Premium health club and separate studios for group fitness, mind and body classes and indoor cycle
- Specialist community facilities, including crèche, birthday party rooms, indoor children’s play centre, meeting and function rooms
- Two community playing fields
- 490 onsite car parks
- Drop off bays and accessible parking.
Beach matting is laid each summer season at Ngarkal Beach (Port Coogee Marina). This provides a path of easy access to the water's edge for people who have mobility limitations or use mobility aids.
Beach wheelchair (the Beach Trekker)
A beach wheelchair (called the Beach Trekker) is available to the public at Port Coogee Marina, to provide access to the water for people with limited mobility. Contact the Disability Access and Inclusion Officer on 08 9411 3444 for more information or to book the wheelchair.
Bibra Lake Regional Playground
Located on Progress Drive, Bibra Lake, this playground is an inclusive and accessible experience that has been designed for everyone in Cockburn.
Accessibility features include:
- Wheelchair accessible barbeques with ignition buttons designed for people with low vision or limited use of their fingers
- Two wheelchair accessible drink fountains
- Supportive seating on flying fox, swings and see-saw
- Perimeter fence with disability latches accessible by Master Locksmith Access Keys
- Wheelchair ramps and rubber pathways throughout
- Ample accessible parking and bus parking bay
- The City’s first changing place facility (find out more on the Changing Place page).
Manning Park Universal Playground
The universal playground at Manning Park in Hamilton Hill has play equipment for children of all abilities, including children who use wheelchairs. The playground includes a wheelchair accessible ‘Liberty Swing’. For safety reasons, a Master Locksmith Access Key is needed to operate the strap and ramp of the Liberty Swing.
Families and carers wanting a key to use the swing should contact the City of Cockburn on 08 9411 3444.
The Botany Park playground in Hammond Park is fully fenced and contains a 'birds nest' swing for children of all abilities. The fence includes an accessible latch for people with disability, which can be operated with a Master Locksmith Access Key. Please contact the City on 08 9411 3444 if you require a key.
The upgrades were funded by Disability Services Commission and administered by WALGA.
Public consultation is a way to voice your opinion on things that shape your community.
The City of Cockburn ensures our public consultation meetings are held at accessible venues, however should you have any specific accessibility requests or queries, please contact us in advance to discuss.
For more information on disability access in Cockburn, please contact the Disability Access and Inclusion Officer on 08 9411 3444 or at email@example.com.
If you have a hearing or speech impairment you can use the National Relay Service to contact the City of Cockburn at no charge. Call 13 36 77 or visit the National Relay Service website.