What is a crossover?

A crossover is the part of the driveway from the kerb line to the property line.

Do I need approval to construct or change a crossover?

As a landowner, you must apply for approval to construct a new crossover or to amend an existing crossover.

Crossover construction and design applications are free and can take up to five (5) days to process.

Please complete the Crossover Construction Application Form below. 

Crossover Construction Application Form

I own a street facing survey strata lot and would like my own crossover. Is this possible?  

When submitting applications for crossovers on survey strata lots, it is recommended that contact is made to the City’s Statutory Planning Services for site specific advice prior to lodging your application. You can email Stat Planning via [email protected]
Please note, the Residential Design Codes require all vehicle access to be from common property access ways for all survey strata lots. This may impact whether you can have a separate vehicle crossover.

Crossover specification and design requirements

The City has a crossover specification document (refer to Related Documents below) with information on crossover design requirements.
These design requirements must be adhered to when constructing or changing a crossover.

How to apply for council contribution toward the cost of crossovers

Council provides a one-off crossover contribution of $500 per property. To be eligible for the contribution, the crossover must comply with the City's Crossover Specifications (refer to Related Documents below). The council contribution can only be given to the property owner or owners adjoining the crossover.   

To apply for a council contribution, the Crossover Claim Form must be completed with the adjoining property owner’s details.

Crossover Claim Form Rebate - Appendix B

If approved, payment of the contribution will be paid via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) only. In order to receive payment, you must provide your bank details. 

If the crossover has been constructed with brick pavers, a receipt or delivery docket for the limestone used in the construction is also required.

More information and contact

Please contact Engineering Services for information on crossovers on 08 9411 3444 or at [email protected]



City of Cockburn
Whadjuk Boodja
9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Social Media

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaditj boodjar kep wer kaadidjiny kalyakool yoodaniny, wer koora wer yeyi ngalak Birdiya koota-djinanginy.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for Country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past and present.