Parks Usage Notification FAQ

What is a Parks Usage Notification?
A Parks Usage Notification relates to any organised activity scheduled to take place within a City of Cockburn Park or Reserve. These are private functions (closed invitation) that are not open to the general public to attend. Any activities that are open to the general public are considered events, with an Events Package required in these situations.
Who should place a notification form?
  • Anyone wishing to conduct an organised activity (birthday party, wedding, wedding reception, sporting activity etc)

  • Schools

  • Clubs

  • Associations

  • Corporations

  • Incorporated bodies

  • Hiring for commercial or profit based activities

  • Anyone wishing to include a structure (bouncy castle, marquee etc), petting zoo, or pony rides as part of a function on a reserve

  • Anyone contracting (hiring) a company to operate on a City of Cockburn reserve (face painting, magician, bubble man etc) 

Do I need to submit an application?

We encourage organised functions to place an application via our online booking system. Some of the reasons we require a notification are:

  • To ensure that the usage doesn’t clash with other bookings, sporting games or events

  • To ensure that the reserve is not too crowded for both casual users and other usages

  • To ensure that work is not scheduled to take place on the reserve that may affect the usage

  • To ensure the reticulation is not running during the booking

  • The reserve ground staff can tailor their maintenance schedule around the usage

  • To ensure that the appropriate public liability insurances are in place for the park usage

  • To ensure that there are adequate facilities at the reserve to accommodate the usage

  • Many reserves are used to host large events (eg triathlons), with sections of the reserve often being closed off to the public during set up of any equipment associated with these events
Staff can assist with sourcing a suitable or alternative venue for your occasion if your chosen venue is unavailable.
How do I place a booking?
Please visit the City's online booking system to check availability and to book your chosen park. Note: some of the larger and more popular parks (such as Manning Park, Bibra Lake Reserve and Smart Park) are listed individually within the venues for hire. If the park you wish to book is not found within the search feature, please use the listing for 'Book Other Parks' and enter the park location details in your application.
How far in advance should I book?

A notification form should be submitted at the customer’s earliest convenience, ideally a minimum of 10 working days prior to the required date. 

Do I need to supply a site map?

If you are proposing to set up equipment (bouncy castle, marquee etc.) or to bring vehicles onto the reserve (where approved) then a site plan is a good idea and can be submitted with your application. A site overview can be requested and emailed to you for this purpose.

When will approval or a bond be required?

Additional information and/or approval may be required for structures or facilities/activities brought to the park.  Please include details in your Event Description when making your online booking.

A credit card bond pre-authorisation is required if there is a structure, fixed item or activity such as:

  • Catering equipment

  • Bouncy castles

  • Marquees, tents etc.

  • Pony rides

  • Animal farms

  • Vehicles accessing the reserve, where approved

What is considered a marquee?
Any single shade structure over 3m x 3m in diameter.  You will require approval from the City of Cockburn to erect anything larger.
Can a BBQ be booked?

As a park or reserve is a public open space we are unable to book a barbeque for you. Access to barbeques is on a first come, first served basis.

Due to the environmental impact to the grounds we are unable to permit waterslides in any of the parks.

The area must be cleared of any litter to the conclusion of your booking.  If the City is required to undertake a clean-up of the area as a result of a booking, then the cost associated with this will be forwarded to the user.


Power may be supplied on submission of an Events Application and approval from City of Cockburn; charges will apply.  Power will not be supplied to casual users for bouncy castle set up.

Use of pegs on City parks and reserves
If you are using a City park or reserve and need to peg equipment into the ground - eg marquees, soccer nets etc. - please use plastic pegs. Metal pegs are a hazard when the reserves are mowed if left behind.
Please view the City's Park Usage Terms & Conditions in conjunction with your booking.



City of Cockburn
Whadjuk Boodja
9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Office opening hours:
8.30am to 4.30pm
Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)

Language Support

Social Media

Cockburn Nyungar moort Beeliar boodja-k kaadadjiny. Koora, yeyi, benang baalap nidja boodja-k kaaradjiny.
Ngalak kaditj boodjar kep wer kaadidjiny kalyakool yoodaniny, wer koora wer yeyi ngalak Birdiya koota-djinanginy.

City of Cockburn acknowledges the Nyungar people of Beeliar boodja. Long ago, now and in the future they care for Country.
We acknowledge a continuing connection to land, waters and culture and pay our respects to the Elders, past and present.