Creating an inclusive club environment is vital for being a healthy and successful club. Being inclusive is not challenging, however it does require a shift in club culture and behaviour. There are many simple changes that can be applied to help your club achieve a welcoming environment in the community.
- Feeling welcome
- Having the same opportunities for all members
- Being valued for who you are and your contribution
- Belonging to a community
- Contributing to a club’s direction
- Having facilities and areas that are accessible to all
- Mixed ability groups and pathways programs.
- Increased memberships
- Increased volunteers and administrators
- Increased skills and abilities within the club
- Richer club environment due to cultural diversity of members
- Increase in positive media and sponsorship opportunities
- Access to more resources and funding opportunities.
- If you’re not sure what to ask, just ask them
- Provide regular social activities so your members can interact
- Promote your club through a range of channels e.g. schools, local shopping centre, social media
- Provide other ways for people to be involved with your club
- Celebrate the diversity of your club and share your stories.
“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to unite kin a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where there was only despair. It is more powerful than governments in breaking down racial barriers. It laughs in the face of all types of discrimination”
– Nelson Mandela