Main Roads WA, WA Police and the City worked together to construct a children’s crossing at the intersection of Macquarie Boulevard and Eucalyptus Drive near Botany Park, in the suburb of Hammond Park in 2022.
The WA Police Children’s Crossings Unit provides the Traffic Warden stationed at this crossing during school terms.
The Traffic Warden helps to safely guide students from nearby Hammond Park Primary School as they cross this busy intersection on their way to and from school.
The footpath improvement project began two and a half years ago and the City is pleased the children’s crossing has been completed for the benefit of students, their families, the Hammond Park Primary School and local community.
The City worked with Main Roads to install 40km/hr speed signs adjacent to the school on Hammond Road in 2022.
- The Police Children’s Crossing Team is to appoint a Traffic Warden/crossing guard at the start of 2023. This will depend on the availability of trained wardens.
- The City developed detailed improvement plans along Eucalyptus Drive/Macquarie Boulevard/Botany Parade to improve the overall safety of pedestrian movements. Construction works for Eucalyptus Drive/ Macquarie Boulevard have been completed and construction works for Irvine Parade/Botany Parade will be underway soon.
- Several light poles were relocated to enable construction of the path. School students have been using the new paths already completed as part of this project.
- The children’s crossing at Macquarie Boulevard and Eucalyptus Drive was completed in October 2022.
A traffic warden is required for the crossing at the intersection of Macquarie Boulevard and Eucalyptus Drive. WA Police are finding it hard to fill this and other positions given the tight labour market, so please pass this information on to anyone who may be interested so we can have this crossing operating with a traffic warden. Below are the details of the job and a mention of further traffic warden vacancies.
Details of the Traffic Warden position
- Monday to Friday during school term (job sharing available)
- 1 hour in the morning and afternoon
- Hourly rate of $25.58/ hr
- Full training and uniform provided
There are many unmanned children’s crossings throughout the City. For other current and future positions, the WA Police Force are looking to establish a pool of applicants in the Cockburn area and surrounding suburbs.
For more information and to register your interest, call 08 6274 8731, or email [email protected].