Main Roads WA, WA Police and the City are working to progress construction of a children’s crossing at the intersection of Macquarie Boulevard and Eucalyptus Drive near Botany Park, in the suburb of Hammond Park.
We are reliant on the availability of contractors to complete the project, which is proving difficult in the current economic environment.
Once complete and approved, the WA Police Children’s Crossings Unit will provide a Traffic Warden who will be stationed at the crossing during school terms. A Traffic Warden will help safely guide students from nearby Hammond Park Primary School as they cross this busy intersection on their way to and from school.
This project began two and a half years ago and the City is pleased to see its ongoing progress for the benefit of students, their families, the Hammond Park Primary School and local community.
The City is also installing 40km/hr speed signs on Hammond Road which will be erected by 31 August 2022.
- We anticipate the children’s crossing at Macquarie Boulevard and Eucalyptus Drive will be complete around October 2022
- Construction of children’s crossings are generally scheduled for school holidays, to avoid causing issues around school times
- Line marking and signs will be installed by Main Roads WA contractors and is dependent upon their availability once concreting is completed
- The Police Children’s Crossing Team, Main Roads WA and the City will inspect and ensure the work meets required standards before the crossing is approved
- It will take a further three months for the Police Children’s Crossing Team to appoint a Traffic Warden/crossing guard. This will depend on the availability of trained wardens.
- The City developed detailed improvement plans along Eucalyptus Drive/Macquarie Boulevard/Botany Parade to improve the overall safety of pedestrian movements. Construction works for Eucalyptus Drive has been completed and construction works for Macquarie Boulevard/Botany Parade are underway currently
- The light pole between No. 76 and 78 Macquarie Boulevard has been relocated to enable construction of the path, with school students using new paths already completed as part of this project.
A traffic warden is required for the crossing at the intersection of Macquarie Boulevard and Eucalyptus Drive. WA Police are finding it hard to fill this and other positions given the tight labour market, so please pass this information on to anyone who may be interested so we can have this crossing operating once complete in October. Below are the details of the job and a mention of further traffic warden vacancies near Success Primary School.
Details of the Traffic Warden position
- Monday to Friday during school term (job sharing available)
- 1 hour in the morning and afternoon
- Hourly rate of $25.58/ hr
- Full training and uniform provided
There are also two positions available for the crossing on Hammond Road near Success Primary School. For other current and future positions, the WA Police Force are looking to establish a pool of applicants in the Cockburn area and surrounding suburbs.
For more information and to register your interest, call 08 6274 8731, or email [email protected].