The Yangebup Revitalisation Strategy will be the fifth of the City’s strategic suburb regeneration projects. This follows the Phoenix Revitalisation Strategy undertaken in 2009, the Hamilton Hill Revitalisation Strategy in 2012, the Coolbellup Revitalisation Strategy in 2014 and the Lakes Revitalisation Strategy which comprises North Lake, Bibra Lake and South Lake.
Revitalisation strategies present an opportunity to address a variety of suburb specific opportunities including:
- The upgrading of infrastructure and public open space
- Guidelines and initiatives for the enhancement of local centres
- Streetscape and transport infrastructure improvements
- Strategies to protect and enhance important local characteristics
- Providing a coordinated approach in managing change relating to aging building stocks in older suburbs.
The study area is illustrated as “Area 5” in the related documents below and is generally bound by Yangebup Lake, Beeliar Drive, Spearwood Avenue, Yangebup Road and the freight rail line to the north of which defines the suburbs edge from the Bibra Lake employment area.
The project area is in close proximity to the Bibra Lake wetlands and is approximately 3 kilometres from the City’s largest activity centre – Cockburn Central.
The preparation of revitalisation strategies is predominantly driven through the need to:
- Promote further housing choice options as suburbs and communities throughout the locality grow, change, and age
- Guide investment in the public realm to help support growing residential populations of which may result as part of uplifting of residential densities
An ongoing aspiration for the State Government is the need to identify greater densities to reduce urban sprawl. The latest strategic plan for the Perth metropolitan and Peel regions is Perth and Peel @ 3.5 million. In line with this long term aspiration, the City has been actively addressing the challenge of infill development through providing innovative planning responses via the revitalisation strategies.
As part of this process the community was consulted on their aspirations for the suburb by attending one of the three community visioning forums and completing the online survey. The outcomes reports illustrating the results of the forums and surveys are available at Comment on Cockburn. Following formulation of the draft Strategy, the community will be notified and have another opportunity to comment.
The following table shows the key stages of the revitalisation strategy to be undertaken and their status (updated 3 August 2018).
||Completed (Forums occurred on 25th & 27th June and 2nd July 2018)
|Draft strategy formulation
||Late 2018 - Early 2019
|Report to Council seeking support to advertise