Roads and Drainage
- Scheduled road sweeping
- Repairing potholes and patching roads
- Resurfacing and upgrading existing roads and constructing new roads
- Repairing kerbing
- Weed spraying kerb-lines and median islands
- Managing traffic
- Responding to after-hours emergencies for chemical oil spills, traffic accidents and damage to council infrastructure
- Repairing, upgrading and installing drainage infrastructure
- Cleaning drainage pits, CCTV jetting pipes
- Maintaining sumps and bubble-up outlets.
- Repairing, maintaining, renewing and constructing footpaths
- Disability access and inclusion projects
- Weed spraying foot and bike paths
- Improving the City’s bike network.
Ancillary or verge maintenance
- Installing and maintaining bus shelters
- Removing graffiti
- Kerb numbering
- Bus fire response plant for clearing and for traffic management assisting Police DFES or DPAW
- Installing crossovers
- Installing and maintaining guide posts
- Installing and maintaining crash and guard rails
- Installing and maintaining bollards and handrails, except around parks.
- Administering Accredited Mass Management System (AMMS) and Restricted Access Vehicle (RAV) permits
- Inspected and approving crossovers, including monitoring compliance
- Administering verge permits and bonds, including monitoring compliance
- Administering street lighting applications to Western Power for new lighting
- Administering private lighting applications for public access ways
- Inspecting subdivisions
- Reporting faulty street lights to Western Power
- Reporting missing road signs and faded line marking to Main Roads.
In Cockburn, Main Roads is responsible for the following roads:
- Armadale road (whole road)
- Cockburn Road (Rockingham Road to Russell Road)
- Kwinana Freeway (whole road)
- Rockingham Road (south from Stock Road)
- Roe Highway (whole road)
- Russell Road in Henderson (Cockburn Road to Rockingham Road)
- Stock Road (south Winterfold to Rockingham Road).
The WA Planning Commission (WAPC) and Main Roads are responsible for managing and maintaining Cockburn Road from Coogee Beach south to Henderson, as well as the entire length of Stock Road and all verges.
Main Roads manage the verges within the road reserve (immediately next to the road) along Cockburn Road where WAPC, Perth Transport Authority (PTA), Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA) and the City of Cockburn (CoC) manage separate areas of the large grass/bushland areas outside the Road Reserve.
On behalf of the State government, the City manages the bushland area on the west side of Cockburn Road outside of the road reserve between Poore Grove and Coogee Beach. This is mowed once a year for bush fire risk.
The WAPC manage the east side grass/bushland area from almost Beach Road to Fairbairn Road, Lot 48 and 700. PTA manages the west grass bushland area from Poore Grove to Fairbairn Road, lot 503. Main Roads manage the east side grass/bushland from Fairbairn Road to almost Magazine Court, Lot 303 and 305. DBCA manage the grass/bushland area from Poore Grove to O’Kane Court.
Main Roads manages a number of major arterial roads throughout the City, besides areas where the City has landscaped. An example is Stock Road which Main Roads manages but the City has installed entry statement landscaping and irrigation at the intersection of Stock and Rockingham Road’s, so the City manages the landscaping and irrigated grass areas on that intersection.
Main Roads other responsibilities
- All line marking on all roads
- Road signage except for street name signs and Council banners
- Maintaining all traffic signals on all roads
- Maintaining and inspecting all bridges, including rail bridges owned by the Public Transport Authority.