Where must dogs be on a lead in the City of Cockburn?
Dogs must be on-lead in all areas unless signage states otherwise. This includes most public places, unless it is an area where all dogs are prohibited.
What beaches can dogs access?
Dogs can access the following beaches off-leash:
- C. Y. O’Connor Beach north of South Fremantle Power Station to the Catherine Point groyne
- Jervoise Bay dog beach facing south to the Henderson shipbuilding area, accessible via Jervoise Bay Cove road.
What beaches are prohibited to dogs?
- Woodman Point between Ammunition Jetty and south around the point to Jervoise Bay dog beach
- Coogee Beach
- Ngarkal Beach at Port Coogee Marina
- Chelydra Beach between the northern end of Port Coogee and South Fremantle Power Station.
The City has a number of off-lead and enclosed dog exercise areas (see the map below). If you are using an off-lead dog exercise area, make sure your dog is under control at all times to prevent conflict with other dogs or people. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure the dog collar is worn and a lead is available.
New off-leash dog exercise areas
Several large public opens spaces are being trialled as off-leash areas, when not in use by recognised sporting groups or by schools.
- Phase one reserves (as of 21 October 2020): Allendale Park, Aubin Grove Reserve, Beeliar Reserve, Colorado Park, Goodchild Reserve and Santich Park
- Phase two reserves (mid-2021): Enright Reserve, Len Packham Reserve and Success Reserve
- Phase three reserves: other specified reserves.
You can view all of the off-lead and enclosed dog exercise areas in Cockburn on the map below. Zoom in to see more details and click on an icon to read more about the parks details, or click on the black arrow to search for a specific park by name.
The map is equipped with accessibility features including in-map voice and accessible colour choice. If you would like to access these features, please make sure they are switched on before conducting your search.
The City currently has five enclosed dog parks:
- Briggs Street, South Lake – West of Wambiri Close, South Lake
- Clementine Park - Clementine Boulevard, Treeby
- Jan Hammond Park - corner of Baningan Avenue and Bartram Road, Success
- Yarra Vista Park - corner of Dean Road and Berrigan Drive, Jandakot
- Baler Court, Hammond Park.
An additional two dog specific parks may be constructed at Radonich Park (Beeliar) and Macfaull Park (Spearwood) in the near future, following further consultation.
Baler Court Dog Park
In the interest of community safety, we have removed the dog agility equipment, fountains, park benches and fencing from the Baler Court dog park. These items have been replaced with non-electric conducting equipment.
The City is acting on advice provided by electrical engineers after residents reported feeling an electrical charge when visiting the park.
If your dog excretes on a street or a public place, you must remove and appropriately dispose of it. The City of Cockburn has installed waste bins, dog pooch dispensers at many parks locations to assist pet owners with appropriate disposal.
If your local park does not have this facility or if your park has run out of dog pooch bags, please contact the City directly.
Failure to remove excreta may result in a $100 penalty.
For more information about off-lead dog exercise areas in the City please email the City or call 08 9411 3444.