Closure of In-home care service
The City's In-Home Child Care Service will close on 23 December, 2021.
This follows a decision by the ATO and Commonwealth Government to reclassify the service's funding arrangements.
The City has historically provided this service on behalf of the Commonwealth Government on the basis that the City is an administrator of the funds at a local level, and not the operator of the service. Due to the ATO reclassification and the Commonwealth Government’s subsequent funding changes, it is not possible or appropriate for the City to continue to provide this service and use ratepayer funds to effectively subsidise a Commonwealth obligation.
The City of Cockburn’s In-Home Child Care Service operates with Registered In-Home Child Care Educators who are supported to provide quality early childhood education and care in a child's family home. The Service is part of the Commonwealth Children's Services Program, but is not a mainstream childcare service such as Family Day Care. There are specific Commonwealth criteria to access and continue receiving childcare.
As prescribed at Section 8AA of the Child Care Subsidy Minister’s Rules 2017, IHC Services may only provide subsidised sessions of care for children in CCS eligible families which can demonstrate that no other types of approved child care are suitable or available and where one or more of the following eligibility criteria apply:
• parents or carers of the child are working non-standard or variable hours, outside normal child care service hours
• parents or carers of the child are geographically isolated from other types of approved child care, including because they reside in a rural or remote location
• the family has challenging or complex needs.
Families accessing IHC due to challenging or complex needs may have circumstances which include one or more of the following:
• a child with additional needs or a disability whose early childhood education and care requirements cannot be catered for in another approved child care setting, or through other government funded or community-based services
• a family where a parent is undergoing treatment for a serious illness
• other complex family situations that prevent families from accessing other approved child care types.
View the In Home Care information on the Department on Education, Skills and Employment opens in a new window website.
Please contact the City of Cockburn In Home Child Care Service Co-ordinator on 08 9411 3307 or at [email protected] to find out more about in-home child care.