Interpreting and translating services are available for non-English speaking residents. This service is free for residents and ratepayers who do not speak English when accessing the City's services.
City of Cockburn residents have the right to access programs and services provided by the City equitably, regardless of their cultural, linguistic or religious backgrounds.
There are many types of services available, including immediate phone interpreting, and pre-booked phone and onsite interpreting.
TIS (Translating and Interpreting Service)
The Translating and Interpreting Service is a Commonwealth Government service which provides language interpreting for government agencies, not-for-profit organisations and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients in 160 languages.
For resident enquiries on most Council matters, this service is free.
- immediate phone interpreting
- ATIS Voice automated voice-prompted immediate phone interpreting
- pre-booked phone interpreting
- pre-booked onsite interpreting
- translation services.
You may need interpreting and translating services if for example:
- You approach the City with a query about a building proposal and need assistance with communicating your application, or have other questions
- Your dog or cat has been collected by Rangers and you need assistance to understand the legislative requirements and your responsibility as a pet owner
- You are part of a group of non-English speaking residents who are attending a Council-run learn to swim class and you require assistance to understand the instructions.
In cases like this, the translating and interpreting service is free.
Auslan interpreting can be made available on request for events and services offered by the City of Cockburn. If you require an Auslan interpreter, please contact the City in advance to enable us to make arrangements.
Request interpreting and translating assistance
Please note that Council staff may request immediate phone interpreting on your behalf, with your consent, if you require on-the-spot translation when communicating with the City of Cockburn. You will need to provide the following information, in order to access the service:
- Where you are from
- The language you require from an interpreter
- Your name and phone number (if possible).
Please talk to the City about pre-booked phone and onsite interpreting. Onsite interpreters may be useful for:
- scheduled appointments with the City
- sensitive or serious appointments
- appointments that may go on for an extended period of time.
An on-site interpreter may be most appropriate when:
- you have a scheduled appointment with a client
- the appointment is of a sensitive or serious nature
- you anticipate that the appointment will go for an extended period of time.
If you require personal documents or other written information to be translated and certified, you may contact Alessandra and Co. This organisation provides commercial translating and interpreting services. Please note that this organisation charges a fee and is not subsidised by the City of Cockburn.
Alessandra and Co.
- Address: Suite 21, 44 Kings Park Rd (corner Ventnor Ave), West Perth, WA 6005 Australia
- Phone/Fax: +61 (8) 6263 4477
- Mobile: +61 (0) 424 355 858
- Website: http://alessandra-languages.com.au/
The Department of Social Services offers free translating services for people settling permanently in Australia. Applications can be made through Adult Migrant English Program learning centres around Australia.
The City of Cockburn provides a large range of services for residents. Below are some of the most popular services used by our residents. To find out more information about the services below, follow the links supplied, and if required, use the translating and interpreting services listed on this page.