About the event
Elder abuse is a serious social issue affecting one in six, or approximately 700,000 older people in Australia. It has significant physical, emotional, and financial consequences for victims and can lead to depression, anxiety, social isolation, and even premature death. Don’t let elder abuse happen in our community.
Join us for a FREE workshop to learn how you can help prevent elder abuse and make a difference in our community. The workshop will cover:
- Types of elder abuse - physical, emotional, financial, sexual, neglect and abandonment
- Common signs of elder abuse
- How you can help
- How to protect yourself against scams
- Who to contact for help
- Family law and its application in addressing elder abuse - Wills, Enduring Power of Guardianship (EPG) and Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA).
An information stand will be on-site for attendees to chat to staff from Cockburn Financial Counselling and the Cockburn Seniors Centre.
- Melissa Brechin, Advocare
- Audrey Pajmon, Bankwest
- Trang Ngo, True North Legal
The City of Cockburn is committed to promoting age friendly initiatives and enhancing the quality of life of seniors as they age in Cockburn.
We will be running a free bus from Cockburn Seniors Centre at 9am, returning at approximately 12.30pm. The workshop is hosted by the City of Cockburn in conjunction with AdvoCare, COTA WA, Bankwest and True North Legal.
Cockburn Health and Community Facility
11 Wentworth Parade, Success, WA 6164
The available map is equipped with additional accessibility features including in-map voice and accessible colour choice. If you would like to access these features, please make sure they are switched on.