Start: Mid 2018
Finish: Early 2021
The redevelopment of the Wetlands Precinct on Hope Road in Bibra Lake is a priority project for the City. The intent is to upgrade a key community and environmental asset. The project involves:
- Construction of a new Native ARC facility and renovation of the existing Native ARC building.
- Renovation and extensions to 'The Wetlands Centre, Cockburn' building which will include an education room, relocated meeting room, educational artificial wetland and a nursery.
- Provision of new Bibra Lake Scout shed with dedicated Rovers den.
- Additional parking and improved traffic and public access to and across the site.
- Creation of interconnected landscaped walkways and outdoor classrooms to support multiple uses and events.
- Inclusion of Ecological Sustainable Design (ESD) features across the project.
The total project cost is expected to be $6M through a combination of municipal funding and Developer Contributions.
Project updates from June are available for download:
Through engagement with the onsite stakeholders, Native ARC, The Wetlands Centre and the Bibra Lake Scouts the project is moving into the construction phase with works expected to commence in January 2020.
The Wetlands Precinct has been designed to allow the three key onsite stakeholders to expand their operations as well as cater for the wider community. The planned development has been contained within the existing site footprint to minimize impact on the surrounding bushland and wetland areas within the Bibra Lake Reserve and mitigate risk from fire. During the planning phase a number of trees/shrubs were identified by an arborist to be unsafe and pose a risk to the future the development. A Bushfire Consultant also identified a small number of trees that needed to be pruned or removed to meet bushfire management legislation. To meet these requirements a number of trees/shrubs have been identified for relocation and /or removal.
The construction phase of the project has identified a staged program of works which will enable the three key stakeholders; Native ARC Inc, The Wetlands Centre, Cockburn and the Bibra Lake Scouts to remain operational onsite during construction. Native ARC opens in a new window
will be open from 8.30 – 7pm, 7 days a week.
The staging will ensure a safe environment for the wildlife on site that are undergoing rehabilitation before being relocated and community run programs.
The new precinct is scheduled for completion in early 2021.
Monthly project updates will be provided during 2020 until project completion.