City of Cockburn, PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC, Western Australia, 6965
Telephone: (08) 9411 3444

Pests and Animals

Poultry | Cats | Dogs | Bees | Rats | Wasps | Portugese Millipedes  
Stable (Biting) Fly | Mosquito Management


If you are looking to keep poultry on your property there are requirements under the Citys local laws that must be met depending on if you are in a residential area, or the resource zone. Please refer to the following information:

No Person is to keep a Rooster, Turkey , Goose, Peacock or Peahen on any residential premises.


Uncontrolled household and feral cats can create a nuisance in our community. The City of Cockburn is lucky to have many bushland and wetland areas, which support a wealth of native wildlife. Unfortunately, many native animals such as bandicoots and possums have drastically declined in number or been completely lost largely due to predation by introduced animals, particularly foxes and cats.

The City relies on cat owners to act responsibly. What can you do?

If you have a nuisance cat in your area there are methods and sprays available to repel cats from your property.  Where the nuisance cat is feral, it can be trapped and humanely euthanised by a vet or other authorised person. Where a trapped cat has an identification collar, it must be returned to it's owner.

Any one residential property may have up to 3 adult cats. A property with 4 or more adult cats will need to apply for a cattery licence. 

For further info, please visit the links below :



Please refer to the Dogs page -



The location of a bee hive established by 'wild' bees determines who is responsible for them. If on private property it is the owner or occupier's responsibility.  It is recommended that you contact a licensed pest controller to treat the hive.  If on Council land please contact the City's Parks and Gardens Services on 9411 3444.

If you are looking at establishing a bee hive within the City, you will require a permit from the City's Health Services. The permit will detail the requirements of the City of Cockburn (Local Government Act) Local Laws 2000 concerning bee keeping.

For general information on bees please refer to our Keeping Bees and Swarming Bees pamphlet


back to top



It is common in the colder months to have more sightings of mice or rats on your property, or hear them in your roof as they seek shelter in buildings and residential areas.  To discourage rodents from your property:

  • Stack firewood uniformly and keep it away from the sides of sheds and fences, and off the ground.
  • Limit garden waste and disused materials in sheds and around the yard.
  • Trim shrubs, hedges and undergrowth and remove dead branches from trees, especially palm trees.
  • Remove fruits and nuts from trees and vines as soon as they are ripe.
  • Block holes and other potential access points to areas in buildings that could provide shelter.
  • Store pet food in sealed containers and regularly clean pet dishes and bird cages.
  • Ensure compost containers and rubbish bins are sealed.  

Talk to your neighbours and set up a baiting program.  Use baits according to the packet instructions and make sure they are placed out of reach from children and pets.  Use waterproof baits outside in sheds and around the garden.  Make sure that baits are secured and are checked regularly and replenished.  Rodents must consume baits over a series of days for the poison to be effective.  If you are worried about using baits, consider traps instead, using foods such as peanut butter, apple or nuts to attract the rodents.

For more information on rodent control, view the City's Health Services Rat Activity in your Neighbourhood and the Department of Health website.


back to top



If you are experiencing a problem with wasps on your property, it is recommended that you contact a licensed pest controller to treat the nest.  To treat the nest yourself follow the information linked below.

Almost all sightings are of the more common Paper Wasp and not likely to be an European  Wasp. If residents have any doubts they should refer to the following guides that assist to identify the European Wasp.

The most recent European wasp identification guide GardenNote No 30, has the current phone number (Freecall 1800 084 881) and contact details for the Department of Agriculture and Food, which can also be found on the Department of Agriculture and Food website, search for European wasp and select the Wasp identification guide No. 30 (2007) PDF GardenNote.

The public is urged to report any sightings to the Pest and Disease Information Service on Freecall 1800 084 881 during normal office hours MondayFriday 8.00am-5.00pm

Department of Agriculture and Food WA
3 Baron Hay-Court,
South Perth WA 6151
Freecall: 1800 084 881

Portugese Millipedes

Portuguese millipedes are an introduced species of millipede with a smooth cylindrical body, ranging in colour from black/grey to light brown.  They were first found in WA in the late 1980s in the Roleystone area.  They have slowly moved towards the coast and are now found in some areas of the City including Coogee and Spearwood.

Portuguese millipedes invade homes when the first rains start.  They normally live outdoors where they feed on leaf litter, damp wood and mosses.  They are not harmful to animals or human and do not breed inside homes.  They are attracted to lights and organic matter including compost, leaf litter and mulch.

For information on how to prevent the millipedes from being attracted to your home, refer to the Department of Agriculture Garden Note.


 Stable (Biting) Fly

Stable flies are blood sucking insects which cause irritation and injury to animals and humans from their bite. Horses are particularly vunerable to stable fly attack. They are similar in size and appearance to the common house fly and bush fly, but as their name suggest they have a prominent biting mouthpart. The fly on the left is a biting fly, the fly on the right a house fly.


Stable fly can breed in manure piles, compost heaps, grass clippings, household rubbish and open worm farms. It is the householders responsibility to ensure adeqaute control measures are in place where potential bredding sites exist including:


  • Keeping animal enclosures, ie. poultry enclosures, clean on a daily basis
  • Keep manures in a fly proof bin/container or completely cover to keep dry
  • Wrap food scraps in paper before placing in the bin
  • Cover open compost or compost in a compost bin. Maintaining compost systems promotes rapid decomposition of organic matter, this generates heat and make the pile unsuitable to fly larvae.
  • Spread grass clippings thinly over your garden
  • Keep your rubbish bin clean and the lid tightly closed


Further information can be found on the Stable Fly Action Group Website.


back to top 

pests and animals

Health Services HOME

Need more Info?

Phone: 9411 3444

You may also like to visit these links:

website statistics