City of Cockburn, PO Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC, Western Australia, 6965
Telephone: (08) 9411 3444

Building Permit Applications 

When is a Building Permit Required?  

A building permit is required for most structures (residential, commercial or industrial) including but not limited to  new works, alterations, additions, swimming pools, spas (below and above ground), pool safety barriers / fence for pools & spas, patios and sheds.

A Building Permit must be obtained prior to the commencement of any building work.

NOTE: It is an offence under the Building Act 2011 to carry out building work without a valid Building Permit. Offenders may be prosecuted in the Magistrates Court by the City of Cockburn.

To obtain a Building Permit, a Building Permit Application Form together with two copies of all plans and specifications must be submitted to Building Services.

There are two types of applications:

  1. Uncertified or Certified applications - Residential buildings Class 1 and Outbuildings Class 10 and; 
  2. Certified applications - Commercial/Industrial buildings Classes 2 - 9


Before an owner can undertake any proposed works over the value of $20,000 as an owner-builder, that owner is required to apply for approval from the Building Services Board at the WA Building Commission.

Owner-builder application form and information can be downloaded from the right-hand column on this page. Alternatively, visit the Building Commission website.

The Owner-Builder Approval Application is to be submitted directly to the Building Commission. 

Assessment Timeframes

Uncertified applications

25 business days (excluding Public Holidays) for the City to assess your application.

21 calendar days for the applicant to provide further information if requested by the City.

Certified applications

10 business days (excluding Public Holidays) for the City to assess your application.

21 calendar days for the applicant to provide further information if requested by the City.


Under the Building Act 2011, a local Permit Authority (i.e. City of Cockburn) has the right to REFUSE an application if all required information is not provided within the stipulated 21-day timeframe. In addition, the permit authority has the right to retain the application fee.  

As a service to all applicants, the City carries out an initial check of applications when they are first submitted at front counter. Applicants will be advised of any missing information.

REMINDER: Please note that any changes to an existing crossover or the construction of a new crossover requires approval from the City's Engineering Services. A Crossover Construction Application Form can be downloaded from Engineering Services. Please submit all Crossover Construction application forms directly to Engineering Services.